PDA

View Full Version : good thoughts for zoa needed.

ittyandrita
04-22-2008, 01:52 PM
took Zoa to the vet yesterday. I posted a while back about how he'd been really hormonal for a long time. Well, we managed to get some stick training in there which solved a lot of problems, however, despite all my attempts to get him on a natural daylight schedule, reduce his food, etc nothing has helped. while this may just be him changing, which i can accept, any drastic change in behavior should be some cause for concern i suppose. Lately his poos have been very very watery. At first i just attributed it to the fact that he dunks all his food in his bowl and loves fruit, but was starting to get concerned. I had the day off work on monday and was just recommended a new vet near me and took it as a sign that he really needs to go in. The vet said she could tell by feeling him that he had lost some weight- he has battled with obsesity his whole life, and apparently it left him a bit flabby, but he wasn't underweight or anything. She still felt that we should do a full work up due to his age (10 yrs, I didn't think that was that old for a senegal, but even the vet tech made a comment about how he looked young for his age??)
the results come back tomorrow. I'm really hoping everything is ok. he was my first bird and is my little baby >o

beckyg
04-22-2008, 01:56 PM
Prayers are going up for you and Zoa. Hope everything turns out okay. He certainly looks like a character in his pic!

LauraO
04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
I am sorry to hear about Zoa. Of course, he will be in my thoughts and my whole flock hopes the tests come back all well and fine!

linda040899
04-23-2008, 10:56 AM
Rachel,
Positive thoughts and prayers for Zoa are coming your way from FL. Ten years is young for a Senegal so, hopefully, the test results will return something that will respond to treatment. You've taken the first major step.....a vet appointment.

Please let us know what you find out tomorrow.

lemonypickett
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM
Keep us posted, in the meantime .... Eddie and I send positive thoughts your way.

wilkiecoco
04-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Rachel - I'm sending only positive thoughts for you and Zoa. Please let us know when you hear something.

ittyandrita
04-23-2008, 02:06 PM
thank you for all the support, it helped. the vet called- his blood work was great- but he has giardia. I'm quite relieved as it is easily treatable, but i guess i should also be treating/testing the rest of the flock. does anybody have any giardia experience?

wilkiecoco
04-23-2008, 02:15 PM
i'm so glad that it is something treatable. i know nothing about giardia, but i am continuing to send positives vibes your way for a complete and speedy recovery. :)

beckyg
04-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Well, I am glad it is not something terribly serious! Hope he gets well soon, prayers are still going up for you two :).

Eliza
04-23-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm so sorry that Zoa hasn't been feeling well. I'm glad that you've had a diagnosis and I hope that all is well.

Best wishes to Zoa, the flock... and to you, of course!

-e-

Cindy N.
04-24-2008, 01:11 AM
I don't have experience with a problem with giardia, but I think that it could come in thru your water supply, especially if you get your water from or near the Rocky Mountains or other mountains. Giardia is quite common in birds. I also think that you need to test your other birds, especially if they were housed near this bird, as it's infects the lower intestinal track, comes out in their poop and can survive weeks in very cold water. You will also have to do a thorough disinfection of the environment or your birds will just get it again.

Cindy

linda040899
04-24-2008, 02:26 AM
Hi Rachel,
While Giardia can be hard to cure, it's controllable. Here's a link that will tell you all about it.
http://www.exoticpetvet.net/avian/giardia.html

Hopefully, the medication will do the trick and Zoa will be OK. :)

dani
04-26-2008, 02:33 AM
although i'm sorry to hear that gorgeous Zoa (who looks like the coolest guy!) is sick, i am glad to hear it's treatable! prayers and good, healing wishes coming your way from me and my flock.