PDA

View Full Version : Owning a male and a female lovebird

Gill
04-23-2008, 07:45 AM
As some of you may know I am waiting on the DNA results of two lovebirds, hoping they will be two males. I don't want a female as I don't want eggs and will find it hard taking them away but on the other hand, if they turn out to be one male and one female i'm thinking that maybe I will just have them (there may be one more to DNA though before I decide on this)

My question is, for those who have one male and one female pair, is it a really difficult time for the female and you when they do lay eggs etc? Or is it not so bad?

Thanks for your time! Gill

Gill
04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Any ideas? :)

Mummieeva
04-24-2008, 04:26 PM
A female nesting is kinda like a human you can never tell how they will act. I have only had one hen that laid eggs and she did not change much from her normal behavior. But if you read the breeding section you will see some hens get mean when laying. I would sit down and decide now what you would do if your birds are male and female. They can be put off laying but not forever.

Steph

thebubbleking
04-24-2008, 05:04 PM
My hen baby boo has yet to lay eggs but she does get into nesty mode she will build a nest sit in it and have sunshine feed her this goes on for about 4 to 5 days then she destroys the nest and acts normal for about a month or so then does it again.
But when she is in nesty mode is is very very territorial and wil lunch and attack anything she deems to be to close.
But every bird is different thats just mine:)

Gill
04-25-2008, 12:29 PM
Thank you for your replies! I will read up more on it! :D