PDA

View Full Version : Lovebird nibbling on string..bored?

von
04-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi, my male peach face has recently started nibbling on a piece of string that is attached to one of his toys. But he will nibble for a long time, just sitting there nibbling away. Do you think he is bored? He gets out of his cage a lot and has two other lovebirds for company. He looks and acts healthy but maybe I should get him some new toys or something? Does anyone else have a bird that does this? Von.:confused:

butterfly1061
04-27-2008, 07:30 PM
If there's a cotton string/rope in the cage, most lovies will chew it. Just like wood, leather or anything shreddable. Nothing unusual about your sweetie and string :)

michael
04-27-2008, 07:33 PM
Oddly enough, Goof doesn't seem to care for string or rope. Even those multi coloured twisted rope perches don't impress him at all either. He does though nibble on most his wood hanging toys yet he won't tear into them all that much. Plastic toys he goes bizzerk over and beats the living daylights out of them. Paper foraging packages stuck in the cage bars eventually turn into a really big mess :omg:. I can't help but laugh about it when I come home to find his handy work. What he really likes (after I've spent a fortune on birdy toys) is silverware. He absolutely loves butter knives and spoons and will pick them up and drop them to hear the sound. His favorite pastime is when I load the table up with silverware and various toys so he can drop or push them over the edge and watch them hit the floor................:)

bbslovie
04-27-2008, 10:57 PM
Michael, Goofy is just too funny! :rofl: Thanks for sharing! :clap

HaleBoppPeachyluv
04-28-2008, 12:12 AM
Oooh! My last lovie was that way with coins. If it was round, metal & near an edge, he'd pick it up , toss it over, and tip his little head to watch it fall.

My current lovie likes paper strips. He's the only lovie I've had that insists on holding things down with at least one foot while he nibbles/chews...so I have to make sure the strips are long enough that he can stand on one end while he stands and chew the other end.

von
04-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks, that makes me feel better...He's really a crazy little bird. Another thing I was wondering is how come my new, young little peach face will only let me pet him late at night? All day long he acts scared of hands but then when it's getting dark and he's getting sleepy, he lets me pet him all I want and will even turn his head for better access...it's like he's in some kind of trance or something...you can even pick him right off his perch and he will just keep on sleeping or making his night time grinding noises. I wish he was like that all the time!!!