PDA

View Full Version : Not lovebird related...

Sparkette65
07-23-2005, 12:39 AM
but my 12 yr old wants me to ask you a question.
We are in RI,,,does anyone know if it is illegal to purchase an owl....,
I havent a clue where to go to find out if it is something we can do.
let me know if you can....and thanks in advance for your time.

Im trying to go to bed,,,,but now that Mrs. Tikibird laid that egg, Im not going to be able to sleep....this is going to be a long month...... :happy:

gnight,
Lori

shylevon
07-23-2005, 01:28 AM
What do you intend on feeding afore mentioned Owl??

Remember, owls eat live food, and the first time your daughter sees Mr. Owl gulping down Mrs. Mousie and her nest full of fluffy baby mousies, not to mention Brair Rabbit and Hunka Munka, she may be traumatized for life.

Owls are also huge, I mean they have a wing span of up to three feet. Get one of those birdies flapping down the hallway towards you, talons locked around your throat, hooked beak tearing out your eyeballs, screeching at the top of it's lungs, and the ambulance may be taking you away to safety. Rhode Island is probably not big enough for you and a pi$$ed off owl.

LauraO
07-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Lori: I think you should let your 12 year old read Shy's reply :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

bellarains
07-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Lori.

To my knowledge, the only way to posess an own owl is to have a rehabber's license, and be certified to care for the animals that you take in. You can contact you local wildlife rehab facility if you have one to check this out though.

My local wildlife rehab has three resident owls, and they are awesome creatures, but like Shy said, require lots of space and special dietary needs. If you do have a rehab facility close to you, they are always looking for volunteers and maybe that is something your daughter would be interested in doing. I'm not sure about age requirements, but worth checking out.

Joanie Noel
07-23-2005, 08:05 AM
OMG :rofl: Shy, I'm going to fly you over here to stay with me awhile. When I'm feeling blue, I'll just ask if I should get an owl. :rofl:

Lori, I would advise against getting an owl. It might eat up your lovies. :eek:

- Joanie

Buy A Paper Doll
07-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Lori - My friend had a kitty cat that went outside sometimes. They noticed a big old owl hanging around outside. No more kitty. The owl got her. :x

sdgilley
07-23-2005, 09:58 AM
Like Lori Rains said, you probably need special licenses - and those are for rehab. Your local rescue would know the details. If you daughter wants an owl, why not have her volunteer at a rescue for a few hours a week, instead? It would give her a wonderful exposure to helping animals and an education & respect for their care and treatment. People that bring very wild animals in as pets usually end up unhappy with the situation because their expectations are so far off. People do things like try & bring armadillos home from Texas (they're wild and roam) and wind up having to release them later - and not always close to home! I knew one family that raised a baby flying squirrel, but it began attacking the mother in the family (in her face!) as it matured and reverted. I, myself, rescued and raised a cotton tail bunny, and it reverted to being fully wild as it matured (that was after I fed it with a dropper through it's baby-hood!). That's not to say there aren't some exceptions, but that's my :2cents: :)

butterfly1061
07-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Lori,

This is a good site for info. Don't forget - Owls are nocturnal animals! Hope you or your daughter can stay awake 24/7 :roll:

http://www.owlpages.com/species.php?location=North+America

Janie
07-23-2005, 07:04 PM
Yep, only a licensed rehabber (raptor rehabber) is allowed to possess an owl for any reason. But, I agree, they ARE so cool! :)