PDA

View Full Version : Can't stop looking....

cp.lovebird
05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
So, I am still looking at birds for sale even though I decided a while back not to get any more!

While I was away for 2 weeks, Squeaky was boarded at the vets. He seemed so happy when he came back. I think maybe he liked all the birdie company there. I worry about him at home alone while we are at work. :(

So I've been scanning the ads again for birds. And found two Fischer's lovebirds, siblings, who will be 5 years old this summer. Their sexes are unknown. They have never laid eggs but like to chew cardboard rolls! The owner doesn't have enough time to spend with them and wants to sell them. They are on a diet of seeds, pellets, fruits, veggies and some honey treats. She takes them to the vet every year. Sounds good! She doesn't have any pictures of them so I'd need to see them (and the cage and toys they come with) before making a final decision.

It would be great to have more birds around! It seems kind of lonely without my Blue Meanie. Plus it would be nice for Squeaky to have birds to talk to ( and maybe play with in supervised times out of their cages!) And when my Squeaky passes away, the two of them would still have each other (and I would have them too!)

Yet, I am thinking of the costs of the well-bird exams and of course, cleaning the two cages and letting them out separately if required. I would do a quarantine period of 30 days as well. We are still doing some renovations to the house which could be stressful to the new birds.

I have searched on here to read about Fischer's Lovebirds and it seems like they may get along with Squeaky.

:roll: I am confused! Any advice?

thebubbleking
05-08-2008, 06:41 PM
First off wishing you the best on your new additions i am sure squeaky would love someone to chirp to who will chirp back.
As for them getting along since boo is half ficher half peachfaced i would make sure they dont "get along" so well or so much you end up with eggies:)

Cindy N.
05-08-2008, 08:26 PM
Hello Christine,

If you have peachface and you want a companion for your bird, I think it's best to stay with the same species. Fischer's are generally more high strung than PF and from my own experience, some of my fischer's LB's though smaller can be very nasty to my PF lovies, when they're both out for playtime.

Cindy

Mummieeva
05-09-2008, 03:20 AM
That can be a hard choice. I will say that going from cleaning one cage to three was not to rough for me. It is really up to your comfort level also. Maybe go and see them in person then decide? I am a firm believer in that sometimes you will meet a bird/birds and know right away if they are for you or not. Good luck in your choice.

Steph

cp.lovebird
05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I decided not to get the Fischer's lovies. I didn't realize that they could be even more aggressive than the peach-faced! I don't think my senior lovie could handle that!

I am going to stop looking... no really I am....8o

Thanks for your input everyone!