PDA

View Full Version : I'm weakening!!!

marlowsix
05-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Yesterday I went into my favorite local bird store for supplies. While I was searching for just the right toys, I looked down to see a beautiful Meyer's parrot walking over to me. This store has about 10 open perches with a variety of parrots available for customers to hold and play with - I just love this store. All their birds are truly loved and very tame. Well, this little guy had flown off his perch and headed my way. I put my finger down for him and he stepped right up, continued to walk up my arm and perched on my shoulder for the remainder of my shopping (about a half hour). We walked together all through the store and he just snuggled and was so content. I really don't need another parrot, but I must admit that he stole my heart. I need a reality check...I need help saying no! I don't know much about Meyer's and would welcome any info that would help me say no with conviction - stuff like...they're really loud...can be agressive toward's lovies...etc. Thanks so much!

-Jayne

Cindy N.
05-09-2008, 01:02 PM
I'll try to help you. If you found him in a bird shop or a pet store where the birds are allowed to interact with customers, think of all the possible diseases that the bird could have come into contact with from previous customers directly touching and holding the birds there. You wouldn't want to bring anything into your own home and birds do you?

Hope that helps,

Cindy

marlowsix
05-09-2008, 01:12 PM
They make everyone who enters the store use a hand disinfectant. The birds and the store appear very clean - but I guess you never know.

- Jayne

LauraO
05-10-2008, 10:07 AM
I usually try to disuade people from getting additional birds, or any birds if they don't have them. The truth is birds are often sold in petstores for the very reasons you describe. It's an impulse buy cause the bird is cute and culddly. The reality is Meyer's parrots take a lot more time, money and effort than lovies. I have two of them, and while they are great birds, they 1) don't get along with my lovies and one of them disabled one of my lovies and tried to kill two others, 2) one bites really really hard when he's happy and excited, 3) Meyer's parrots have some of the hardest beaks relative to size 4) they need tons of fresh fruit and veggies daily (way more than lovies), 5) they get really hormonal and can develop some of the problem behaviors a lot other larger birds get, 6) meyer's are a lot smarter than lovies and need a lot more time and replacement of toys than lovies, and 6) they live 20-40 years.

Now if you really want an additional parrot, it's best to look around and do your research about what kind of bird you want and if you have the time and resources to take on a larger parrot. I'm also of the mind that there are TONS of great birds available for rehoming and buying a baby parrots in no way keeps you from having behavior problems and adjustments experienced with adult parrots.

Good Luck. I hope this help.

marlowsix
05-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Thank you Laura and Cindy. That's exactly what I needed to hear!!

- Jayne