PDA

View Full Version : about bird shipping

tokameaki
05-12-2008, 08:20 PM
hiiiiii, its tessie....if u still remember me lol....my babies are good...i am too....well i found this lady on craigslist giving away to beautiful cockatiels and a lovebirds, she is from rochester ny (i though rochester ny was like an an hour away from nyc but no its not) she email me and said it they were availablefor adoption bla bla i told her to ship them to me to nyc i will pick them up there, but she said that the fly ticket was 250 or something like that rochester ny its in the same state as nyc by car its like 6 hours away from nyc....does she really needs to ship them by ainplane?...is there another service that can ship them to me?....i was cheking bus webpages and train webpages but they all say they dont allow pets, i dont know what to do....i hope u guys can answer my questions thanks....

rbalbury
05-12-2008, 08:24 PM
how about a weekend day trip, sounds like a nice outing

tokameaki
05-12-2008, 11:33 PM
sounds really cool, but i would have to do it by myself....everybody works works, and they need me in my job....i wish i can take some days offm but i really cant....i was wondering if they ship birds by train or trucks

linda040899
05-13-2008, 12:34 AM
The Post Office will ship fowl and poultry but pretty much the only option open to ship exotic birds is by airplane. I believe that Continental is charging $150.00 to ship a container of birds and Delta Pets First is right around the same cost. Continental does not ship COD, while Delta will. Continental does not have a temperature restriction for their shipments; Delta does.

Considering that this is Craig's List, I always say buyer beware. $250.00 sounds too much like a round figure to me. You could end up sending this lady money and getting nothing in return.

tokameaki
05-13-2008, 10:01 AM
hi, well i miss understood her email, borth birds with their shipping containers will be 288 (i though she meant that was the shipping cost, and somehow i had in my head that 250 was the shipping cost) she didnt say how much was the shipping so she ask to call her and talk about it....i was wondering if she can send the birds by truck or train but she says no only by airplane,now she also says she has a female quaker parrot, she is giving it away for adoption for like 50, and my friends cousin lives in long island so he wants it but he doesnt even have a social security so i would be the one showing my identification at the airport and its from nj...even though i will pick the birds up at the john f kennedy airport in ny....i dont want to get in trouble...if i would get in trouble i dont want to do him that favor even though the shipping would be cheaper for both of us...

Flapjack
05-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Hi Tessie,
You obviously are ready to give a forever home and lots of love to more birds. :) Personally, I would never buy a bird sight unseen from someone I didn't know or wasn't a reputable breeder. Even if the bird were free, and something was wrong with it, I would feel responsible for keeping it, and paying whatever vet bills the bird incurred.
What if the birds are actually much older than the woman said? What if they're ill? What if they're downright nasty?
You'll make the best decision for you, but if you ask me (and I realize you didn't ;) ) it's better to go see them and their living conditions before the final adoption. Might save you alot of expense and heartbreak.
Just my :2cents:

Dancelady
05-14-2008, 01:04 PM
I am in whole agreement with Flapjack -- don't even think of taking the birds by any means without seeing them first. If this woman was a well-known breeder with a known flock, then I would be more likely to take a bird, if she had shipped birds and sent good ones. But not this situation, it doesn't sound good at all. And I'm afraid that your inexperience may be hurting you because people can figure out that you are new to this. If you really were thinking of shipping (all other things turning out OK), the airline is the best way -- Continental is excellent and takes very good care of the birds, as does Delta. If you ship them by direct-shipment-to-the-cargo-delivery-counter, then they wouldn't stay on the plane or in a luggage tote truck. This is the only way to do it. But, I seriously don't think you should do it, it sounds very ominous.

tokameaki
05-14-2008, 01:40 PM
hi everyone well yeah thats right i didnt think of that....i dont want ill birds anyway...i would love to adopt them from a shelter but the parrot shelters of nj are so far away from me....and even though i know lots of people from shelters at my job they all say they have to give their parrots to a parrot shelter everytime they get a new bird in ....and well my friend's cousin, i dont know him that much but he is a nice person wants a quaker parrot he lives in long island ny but his job is in hoboken nj, he just told me last night that he found a quaker parrot breeder and that she has 2 male quakers available, with their dna sex papers, i saw her webpage and she looks like a good breeder, she is from another state...like i said befores this guy doesnt even have a social security, but he is very good with his conure and his macaw...so he asked me again that if i can contact that breeder and tell her in english if she can ship the quakers to kennedy airport in nyc...but i dont know if it will be a good idea because my license and my passport say i live in nj...i dont want to get in trouble...:roll:

ittyandrita
05-14-2008, 02:51 PM
you should tell your friend's cousin to watch craigslist. i see quakers on the new york one all the time that need homes and you wouldn't have to ship and they are usually up for just a small adoption fee

linda040899
05-14-2008, 03:26 PM
Anyone considering Quaker Parrot (Monk Parakeet) ownership should be aware of the law that governs ownership in each individual state. Here's the link:
http://www.quakerville.com/qic/statelaw.asp

Eliza
05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Quakers are illegal in New Jersey, as are all psittacula parrots (Indian ringnecks, etc.) and Patagonian conures. Please do not take in these species as pets -- it is not fair to them as they can be confiscated from you. As ridiculous as the law may be, it is not our place to jeopardize an animal's well being.

Tessie: this link will likely be of interest to you as you live in NJ: http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/dangrspp.htm

Keep in mind that the permits to own these species are difficult, if not impossible to obtain. They never go to a private individual and believe me: FGW is NOT bending on that. The permits for Quaker parrots, for example, wouldn't go to someone who wants one as a pet. They might be granted, however, to a zoo (ex: the Cape May County Park & Zoo has about half a dozen Quaker parrots).

There aren't any parrot shelters that I know of in the state, with the exception of Arcadia Bird Sactuary, near Freehold. Wings Of Hope and the various bird clubs in the state run rescue, rehome & adoption programs by using a network of foster homes throughout the state and in neighboring states. It might be worth your while to get involved in a bird club in your part of the state. Keep in mind that these are regional clubs so you might have to travel a bit to get to one.

Also: keep the regular shelters in mind. Just because a shelter (or rescue) primarily accepts dogs and cats doesn't mean that they don't accept parrots. Maybe you could find one in your area to volunteer at.

As always, you can check petfinder (both shelter/rescue listings and classifieds), kijiji, hobbly, craigslist, upatsix, birdmart, birdbreeders - the possibilities are endless. Just take your time. The right bird(s) will find their way to you when the time is right.

-e-

ETA: Article involving flying with your avian companion: http://www.parrotchronicles.com/winter2001/travel.htm

tokameaki
05-14-2008, 11:24 PM
he just saw an add at craigslist giving away a quaker and a conure...he told me if they answer him he will take them....but if not he really wants the other quakers from this other breeder...i told him they are illegal in jersey and i know that since i was a member of this forum....so i am very aware of that...i just wanted to know if i would get in trouble by helping this person...i guess i could get in trouble.... i would love to adopt birds from shelters like i wrote before but the shelters are so far away, and u have to visit the parrot before u adopt them....i cant do that i drive but i cant do it that far away....anyway i will look for more homeless birds at craigslist.org for me, i only have two....i can adopt two more babies!...

Mummieeva
05-15-2008, 01:19 AM
also check out www.petfinder.com... they have both a shelter list and at the top a classified section were owners look for new homes for their birds.

Steph