PDA

View Full Version : Bird Lifting up Cage

Little Bug
05-13-2008, 01:55 AM
The cage I have my peached face lovebird in is made so the bars can be lifted up, leaving only the bottom of the cage. I've only had my lovebird for a week now and he still getting use to having me around and gets a bit nervous at times which is understandable as it will take time for him to get use to me.

He loves it when I talk to him and likes to chat back, but today for some reason he has started jumping down to the bottom, corner of his cage and lifting up the bottom bar. He is a strong little guy because he can lift it pretty high and the cage is rather large. He has been running around the bottom of the cage and lifting the cage up allot today, mostly when I'm in the room. Any reason why he is doing this? I've tried looking it up but can't find an answer anywhere.

linda040899
05-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Hi and welcome to our community!
Do you have a photo that you can share with us so that we can see what the cage looks like? That way, we will all be on the same page when we make comments.

I know, from my own experience, that lovebirds will open the "doors" of their cages where food/water dishes are placed. Some even open the main access door! Yes, they are very strong for their size and equally as determined.

My concern is that he might get part of his body caught under the cage bar should he try to get out. However, I'm not sure of your set up so I really can't say if that's an issue or not. A photo would be most helpful.

Little Bug
05-13-2008, 02:54 AM
I have a camera but sadly no working batteries. Perhaps tomorrow I can pick up some from the store and take a picture of his set up.

I do know the type of cage I'm using though. It was originally for a Cockatiel. I had a male cockatiel who sadly passed away a few years ago.

The cage has metal bars with a white plastic bottom and tray. The parts he is lifting up are on the left and right hand sides of the cage. The bars are already lifted up a bit by the front and back bars. I don't think he can get himself caught on the bars, but there is a possibility. And he is rather close the front and back bars when he does it and Im afraid he may get caught by them.

I tried to find the cage on line to help show you it until I can take a picture but sadly this is all I could find: http://www.petsr4u.com/proddetail.asp?prod=82960 Dunno if it helps or not.

Do you think If I put something on top of the cage, perhaps a play pen for him, it will make the cage too heavy for him to lift?

michael
05-13-2008, 04:12 AM
Hi Littlebug. Welcome to our community. :) .....Its good to hear your trying to find a way to rectify any cage issues early on. As Linda pointed out there's a serious risk of your precious bird getting caught somehow in the cage bars and/or parts and causing injury or death. If there's anyway you can safely secure the cage it should be done as soon as possible. Now that attempts have already been made for escape your bird WILL try to find a way out again. If possible, maybe try using plastic zip ties to secure the cage bottom then trim off the excess so he doesn't chew or ingest the plastic. You could even try twisting a small piece of coat hanger with pliers. If this can't be done then try placing something on top the cage like you mentioned to keep it secure. Unfortunately, its possible this cage is inadequate or entirely unsafe for your lovebird. Often too, its not uncommon for a pet shop to sell someone the most economical cage just to complete a sale. Believe me, yours would not be the first to be deemed unsafe for a lovebird. Please, let us know if you find a solution......or some batteries!...........;)

linda040899
05-13-2008, 07:36 AM
Check the bar spacing on your cage. If it was originally meant to house a Cockatiel, the spacing is most likely 3/4" and that's too wide for a lovebird. Proper spacing for a lovebird is 1/2" or 5/8" and I've seen lovebirds get their heads caught between 3/4" spaced bars.

If this is the case, best suggestion I have is buy your lovebird a different cage.

Little Bug
05-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Thank you both Michael and Linda for your help. For now I'll put something on top of the cage so that he can not lift it anymore. I will go out and buy him a new cage as soon as possible. The bar spacing is 3/4" which I thought was fine because a few of the websites and the lovebird care sheet said the spacing should be no larger then 3/4". I want my little guy to be as safe as possible in his new home so a new cage it is.

Thanks again for the help!