PDA

View Full Version : That ain't no lovie beak

LauraO
07-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Well Cookie has gotten so comfortable he's begun chewing on things. The woman I got him from said he never chewed anything the whole time he was at her home. Lucky her! Over the last few days, Cookie has chewed up one of my husband's favorite paintings, two ceiling fans and our kitchen cuppards :eek: :eek: . I got so desperate a little while ago I gave him a little mirror. The poor thing has spent more "time outs" in his cage than a hyper five year old :( . I got so desperate a little while ago I gave him a little mirror (which has been a no no) just to keep him occupied.

Good thing I love that BIG beak :D

linda040899
07-23-2005, 11:01 PM
Laura,
Cookie is a parrot and parrots chew things! That's just a parrot fact! So he won't chew up his choice of items, you need to supply things that he can destroy! Trust me. That expensive $20.00 toy I might buy for Dao and Georgia will have a life expectancy of only a couple of days! :whistle:

LauraO
07-23-2005, 11:06 PM
He has chew toys. I also bought him one but he doesn't show any interest. I guess I need to keep trying til' I find something he likes to chew. I wonder why he never chewed anything at his last home. I'm going to go ahead and view it as a compliment. Cookie is feeling safe enough in his new home to destroy stuff :lol :lol

OH! He learned to make the kissy sound. I give him so many praises when he does it it's so cute except he does it when he's in time out to get my attention. It's so hard to ignore a cute thing like that even for that tortuous ten minutes :D .

linda040899
07-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Laura,
Are his chew toys the kind that hang or the kind he can hold in his foot? All of my larger parrots love to hold things with their feet while they destroy them! One of the cheapest "toys" I can get are small pieces of safe wood from Home Depot. If I find longer pieces, I just cut them up into holdable squares. Rule of thumb I've found with my guys is the more I spend for it, the less they like it!

LauraO
07-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Linda: They are the kind that hang. I will try the foot idea ASAP. My hubby loves home depot so I'm sure I can get him to go over there and check things out. My lovies love to chew on the wooden chopsticks. Of course, Cookie is a little big for those.