PDA

View Full Version : A bird in need? -

koi_tori
05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
I need advice please.

The situation is this: last week I came across a lovebird I feel is in ... a less than ideal living situation. A tiny, tiny cage, one perch, a container of food and a container of water, the bottom of it's cage is relatively dirty - though not disgusting and the bird has no toys to speak of. The current owner of the bird doesn't speak English very well, but informed me that the bird was for sale for $45.

I have no idea about the age of the bird, or any health information - the bird appears to be moulting a bit on it's back feathers, which concerns me a little. That being said, the bird is alert and inquisitive and doesn't seem to be afraid of people.

And I'm considering bringing it home with me. :whistle:

I can see a ton of potential problems with this - bringing home a bird that may not be socialized and could have any number of health issues but I can't stop thinking about this bird. I have never owned a bird before, though in the past I've had hamsters, rats, fish and a dog - and currently share my home with a two year old hedgehog, so I'm used to having animals... I have been researching lovebirds like mad for the last 4 days & have joined here to try and learn even more. I already have an exotics vet, for my hedgie so vet care is a non-issue.

I've already come up with a name for this bird. This never bodes well for me.

My question is this: am I insane for even considering this?

Would it be better to just call a bird rescue and giving them the information.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Chris

thebubbleking
05-19-2008, 06:56 PM
I feel your pain but my situation is worse since the owner of the poor dears thinks they are fine and loves them so doesnt want to give them away or sell them, same situation small cage no toys etc.....
If you have room and time for it i would personaly grab it up in a second but i have a real soft heart for fids in need.......

michael
05-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Hello Chris, and welcome to our community. Glad you could join us! :) ....First, you are far from "insane" for considering giving a home to any animal you know that needs one. Bless you for setting forth in the efforts to make sure this lovebird gets the care its needs. As far as your decision, my guess is you'll have to find a balance between finding time to spend with this lovebird and the rest of your family whether their four footed, big ears, under water, or otherwise. One way to look at that would be how much more love and attention will this bird get under your care than in its present situation. Many members here are quite capable of giving plenty of loving care to one or more lovebirds even if their time is limited. You may also learn over time about this birds individual behavior and be able to offer activities for when your out and about. Like most other living things, lovebirds especially need a purpose in life. A nice big cage filled with toys, healthy food, and a flock mate (you) to share it with for 3-4 hours a day might just be perfect. One drawback :( , they don't go over well with being introduced to other animals mainly for safety reasons. I'll spare those details for now.

Regarding the health of any neglected animal there's always a risk of some malady be it minor or catastrophic. Even said, this doesn't necessarily mean any such problem exists. As always, unless you purchase from a reputable breeder who can offer a proven, pre-purchase health exam, for any new companion bird a "well bird exam" is recommended regardless where they originate from as illness is "always" a possibilty. Just for the record we've already had birds from Petsmart with PBFD. The list goes on from there if you get my drift :(.

Because this bird appears to you as unafraid of human contact, socializing may not be much of an issue. If their bonded or used to only one person it would not be unusual to take some time to adjust to the new person and surroundings. Lots of love, patience, and understanding will generally take care of that. I hope I've helped you a little bit and I'm really glad your taking the time to think this through. Best of luck and keep us posted!............:)