PDA

View Full Version : question about scented candles

bbslovie
05-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Hi, I've read that scented candles are dangerous for birds but had a question. Is that only when they are lit? :confused: I don't really use regular candles anymore, I switched to the battery operated ones for safety reasons. I do have a couple of scented candles and just wanted to know if these could be potentially harmful even if they are never lit.

On another note, what about silpat sheets for baking, are they harmful? I've also heard that Pam cooking spray is harmful as well, is that correct? In trying to transition out all of my non stick bakeware I'm looking for alternatives to use and any advice would be helpful!

Thanks for a reply!

Mummieeva
05-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Unlit they are fine as long as birds can nto nibble them. About the baking ware. Are you talking about the silicone ones? If so I have been told they are ok. I only use stainless steel for all my cooking though. So never tried them myself. I am not sure about Pam cooking spray so others will have to answer that one.

Steph

Pips mom
05-25-2008, 10:55 PM
I think the Pam cooking spray is ok as long as you don't spray it around them or in the same room! I think pretty much anything you heat up that can burn has the same danger as the cooking spray, like butter even. At least that was what I was told. I use the spray at times, and I got rid of my telfon pans. I got those "green pan" they advertise on HSN, they are nice and PTFE & PFOA free, so they are safe.

linda040899
05-26-2008, 01:46 AM
The trick to using stainless steel cookware and not having food stick is to let the pan get hot before adding the food. I've been using stainless and cast iron for quite a long time and stumbled on the heat thing quite by accident.

I agree that scented candles are OK unlit and as long as the birds can't chew them up. I like the light from lighted candles so I use unscented ones. For those who have oil filled hurricane lamps, they are OK to light as long as you use ultrapure oil with no scent added.

bbslovie
05-26-2008, 09:15 AM
Hi, thanks for the information! :) I too use stainless and cast iron. It took a bit to get used to after using teflon but after you get the hang of it it's not so bad! :) Now I'm in the process of replacing the non stick bakeware I have. I still have my glass loaf pan but working on the others. If silicon is ok then I might try the new muffin pans with silicon and see how those do.;) I don't do much baking so I have time to find what I'm looking for!

Flapjack
05-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Since we're talking about cookware...
I've discovered the trick to the stainless frypans- but I sill use glass to bake because I can't figure out how to use the silicone without the sides and bottom of the food getting hard.
Anyone figured out the trick for that?