PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Part 2

bbslovie
06-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi, when cleaning using either the dishwasher or regular washer, do you use detergent (and what kind) or just let it run on a hot water cycle? I'm talking about for happy huts, cage covers, towels, etc. Thanks for your input!

Mummieeva
06-01-2008, 03:40 PM
I use regular dish tabs for dishwasher and after it I rinse it with hot water.

Steph

Janie
06-01-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi, when cleaning using either the dishwasher or regular washer, do you use detergent (and what kind) or just let it run on a hot water cycle? I'm talking about for happy huts, cage covers, towels, etc. Thanks for your input!

That is a GREAT question, IMHO, and I've wondered the same thing. I've heard mention of using a dishwasher to clean perches, toys, etc. but always wondered if you add Cascade or a similar product when cleaning those items. I realize that you need detergent when washing food/water bowls but have been meaning to ask about the other items. I've always washed toys and perches (both wood and rope) outside with hot soapy water and then after rinsing well let them hang in the sun to dry but putting them in a dishwasher from time to time sure would be convenient.

michael
06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
I also agree that this is a good question. Many times I've wondered if using various cleaning agents would have any effect on my Goofy lovebird as certainly soaps/detergents etc cannot be good for him. My only concern is when washing his birdy buddy and cozy. Usually, when tossing them in with laundry they go in with a general load of clothing that normally isn't dirty enough to require presoaking or other types of cleaning agents such as Shout or Go-Jo hand cleaner for grease/oil etc. I also use no fabric softener what so ever and never have. Sometimes I will hand wash these items using Oxyfresh then either toss them into the dryer with other clothes or let them sun dry. The latter takes a bit longer, so the dryer is prefered before he decides Mrs. B buddy along with his vacation bed have been missing for a little bit too long. For the most part everything else is cleaned with GSE and oxyfresh then rinsed thoroughly and dried with a couple paper towels. I think Goof likes when his cage is cleaned because thats the only time he'll run across the bottom of the cage. He then has to wipe his beak on everything while making sure everythings in perfect order. Some things I move around and other things just have to stay put or I'll never hear the end of it!...............:roll:

bbslovie
06-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Michael, you mentioned you've never used fabric softener, is there a specific reason or you were just mentioning that? Thanks! Big chuckles about Goofy running across the cage!

michael
06-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Personally, I don't like the smell of very many soaps, softeners, colognes, perfumes, blah blah blah. With fabric softener it seems to make towels and such less absorbant. Really, I don't have any special reason like toxic shock or disappearing armpits or anything like that. I do seem to be attracted to anything thats natural though, especially stinky little lovebirds :nyah:. Of course there are certain smelly things where I do draw the line...............:wink:

Mummieeva
06-01-2008, 09:12 PM
I do not use fabric softeners often since I got a e-mail saying using it to often can mess up lint filter in dryer and cause dryers more wear and tear(suppose to leave invisible fibers often).

Steph

michael
06-01-2008, 10:33 PM
Ok well, I did leave out one thing here that may be worth the added mention. Would I use fabric softener around Goofy lovebird if I did like the smell of fabric softener and softer fabric? NO! I honestly have no idea what affect (if any) it may have on him or would take any chances. I do know there's plenty of poeple who do use it with no ill effects. Sometimes I think birds, even if they do lack a nose of any such proportion compared to a humans, can smell with a greater sensitivity than what we may think. Think of how any perfume would smell if applied to the interior of your nose for the day..................:x

bbslovie
06-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Thanks again for the input on the fabric softener. I'll avoid that as well!

Kristina
06-02-2008, 05:40 AM
If you want to use the dishwasher to wash bird items, you could use white vinegar instead of dishwasher detergent. It will also clean your dishwasher! You could do the same in the washing machine, but I wouldn't use a lot. I use vinegar to clean out most of my household appliances. I also add vinegar to the dishwasher with cascade (or whatever brand), for extra cleaning power. And it saves some of the detergent.

bbslovie
06-04-2008, 01:07 PM
"Personally, I don't like the smell of very many soaps, softeners, colognes, perfumes"

Michael, I agree and you've given me even more of a good reason to use something that's natural and unscented.

Thanks!
Barb