PDA

View Full Version : Aggression

cp.lovebird
06-06-2008, 10:32 AM
It seems that Ducky is indeed turning into a velcro birdie! He is still in quarantine so I stay with him in the home office to supervise him while he is out of the cage. He spends most of his time on me.

However, I have noticed if I am using the mouse, keyboard or phone while he is out, he will attack them (or sit on my hands - it is hard to type with a bird on your hand!) He will even start nipping on my fingers - it is like he doesn't like me touching those things. I try to give him a wicker ball or a piece of paper to encourage him to play with those instead. I also gently move him to my desk top instead of the keyboard (I don't want to hurt a little foot!) Plus, I'd like my equipment to remain functional. Today I was talking on the phone and he was BETWEEN me and the receiver. :lol

How can I encourage him to play with toys and lessen the aggression towards the keyboard, mouse and phone? Any tried and true ideas?

Thanks! (I just had to move Ducky to find the exclamation point! :rotfl )

jayme
06-06-2008, 12:06 PM
My bird just bit me right between the knuckles while I was signing onto this website. Of course it means she doesn't want me to be tapping on this computer. Other times, like in your case, it is because I am not giving her my attention. Even when I'm watching tv and haven't even looked at her or scrithced her head she bites to let me know she still exists. Every time she bites me I always change my behavior to a more stern voice and constantly say "No biting." After she bit me I would hold her in my hand close to my face and ask more nicely "why are you biting, nooo biting". She knows what these words mean now. Take for example just a few minutes ago she was trying to take a few lunges at my hands typing. Right before she made contact I said "Heeeyyy, No Biting!". Then flat away she stopped and looked me in the eye. This stern "No Biting" tone usually works for me now. Of course it took time, patience, and quite a few bites for her to understand what it meant.

Gill
06-06-2008, 12:24 PM
My two will always go for my fingers typing! Ha ha, theyve both just flown over the second i started to type this and are both on my hands! They will jump straight on my phone if i pick it up too, they dont want to know when its just laying there! It is funny, but means i have to sometimes wait till theyre aslep to get back on here in peace!

LauraO
06-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Once a lovebird decides they are interested in something, redirection can be hard:omg: . First, I think keyboards are like toys and they think playing and biting is a game, especially when they get a reaction from us. Plus, the sound of typing is similiar to the clicky mating sound lovies make so I've had some of my lovies get hormonal when they here the noise. I would just keep trying to find something Ducky is more interested in than the keyboard8o .

thebubbleking
06-06-2008, 05:21 PM
My tiel loves to chew on the mouse and keyboard when i am typeing i definately belive she likes the click click noise.
I have more of a problem with poop dive bombing so i cover my keyboard with seran wrap lol

wilkiecoco
06-06-2008, 07:54 PM
when Kiwi decides that something is his, then it is difficult to dissuade him. 50% of the time, I am allowed to use the keyboard, with his persmission, and then the other 50% he gets totally possessive and will nip me to stop typing.

How did I come to peace with this????? I remember the tried and true adage about lovies, and most birds.

what's mine is mine, what's yours is mine, what will be yours or mine is mine!!!!!!!!!! :D :rofl:

(sometimes when I need to use the computer for work, I bribe him with millet, a nutriberry or a favourite paper to shred ;) :whistle: )