PDA

View Full Version : Gender Characteristics

matrona
06-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi all,

My previous posts' remarks, raised my eyebrows a little bit, and I'm a tad concerned. I wondered if people who have had their birds, either dna tested, or have pairs that have bred, could shed some light on the different types of characteristics that each of the males and females portray - and any differences between the two of them.

I have to wait 3 weeksbefore getting the dna test results back from my vet; and so I'm just ancy! :)

It's so hard and each bird will definitely be unique in terms of its personality and attitude, behaviour, but i just wondered if there were any hints on some concrete behavioural patterns, characteristics, etc. for each gender. I tried a search in the forums, but I dont think this has really been addressed in great detail (unless im searching wrong) lol.

Pips mom
06-09-2008, 09:53 PM
Well, I am no expert here, but from what I can see, lovies like to keep their sex a big secret! and then surprise you!!!! I think they are one of the more difficult ones to tell by behavior. With cockatiels it's easy! I think my lovie is a boy because he is not bitey, not territorial, pretty easy going, and he humps his rope toy every day! :rofl: but we actually have someone on here who had a boy (of so she thought) and he laid an egg! so those mischievous little lovies like to not make things easy for us to figure out! They like to keep us on our toes! Keep us guessing! those crazy lovies! :nyah:

Kristina
06-10-2008, 05:42 AM
I haven't had Fenway DNA tested. I'm pretty sure he's a she. Fen is a bit nippy and will still hump things. LOL. I came to the conclusion in thinking he's a she because of the way he/she tries to "give herself" to the broom (one of her lovers). :omg: She spreads her wings and then points her tail feathers up and backs towards it. LOL.

I don't plan on getting another lovebird, so Fenway's gender isn't too important to me. I am cautious and try to not promote nesting.

Jally
06-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I think Peanut is a boy only because he regurtitates to me and does the same wiggle butt dance on my hand that my boy budgie does (if I were to let them that is!)

Mummieeva
06-10-2008, 09:43 AM
The only 100% sure way(without DNA tests done) is for them to lay eggs..or if a pair with a known female to have eggs hatch. Generally hens are more nippy and they will fight to defend cage. Most males do not make paper strips to tuck under feathers. They normally make spit balls.lol. But I have seen a few males who can. Many of us have had birds we thought were one gender and they proved us wrong.

Steph

Cindy N.
06-10-2008, 11:28 AM
There are many ways to tell if a lovebird is male or female. But, they are not 100% accurate, unless the bird lays an egg. Females tend to bite harder. When they feel threatened they will assume a broody looking posture, with tail up, while backing up. Males just high tail it and run. Females tend to be more territorial (except for very tame fischer's males). They display with wings spread and ask for food from their mates in a begging posture. Females shred paper in a straight line and PF females tuck the paper in their rumps. The base of the hen's beaks tends to be wider than males. They also tend to weigh more than males and have a bulkier look to their overall body, where as, the males look more top heavy just like people. Most females have a flatter head and the back of their heads are more pronounced. They also have a wider stance when standing on a perch in a relaxed manner and they spread their tails out in a straight line. Females tend to be more aggressive towards other lovebirds. When fighting males tend to take little jabs with their beaks and will run from a female rather than get into a big showdown.

Then there is the pelvic test. When females are in breeding condition, you can feel a wide separation and movement between pelvic bones. However, she needs to be relaxed in order to feel this, as she can clinch them together when stressed. You may have to feel for up to a minute. When you do the pelvic test, males have sharper bones, seem very sensitive in this area and will want to run away from you, quicker.

Hope this helps, but, please remember that they are not all accurate as lovebirds tend to mimic the opposite sex at times (especially masked LBs).

Cindy

Pips mom
06-12-2008, 10:07 AM
When they feel threatened they will assume a broody looking posture, with tail up, while backing up. Males just high tail it and run.

That's my Pip right there! always running! As far as the winder stance while standing on a perch, Pip stands differently each time, so this would be a really hard way to tell. The running thing though, as soon as I read said...that is my boy Pip!

LauraO
06-12-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm not opposed to anything folks are saying. There are some general characteristics of lovies based on sex. However, lovies are also unique individuals who don't always fall in with what may be deemed as female or male behavior. I encourage you to not worry too much about this topic as it people often fear having a hen or will treat the lovies different based on sex.

I have 20 lovies with a bunch of hens, and I don't know if its luck or socialization but I have some WONDERFUL HENS! While some bite if I stick my hand in their cozy, not one of my 10 is henlike in the classic feared sense. I really believe this has a lot to do with the way I socialize with them. I honestly, don't discourage any bitey behavior that is natural or them trying to protect their territory. In fact, if I get a hen bite while in a cage, cozy or nestbox I praise my hens cause they are being good mammas and only doing what is in their very nature. I know this may be a little unorthadox, but it works for me.

Good Luck:D

Cindy N.
06-12-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm not opposed to anything folks are saying. There are some general characteristics of lovies based on sex. However, lovies are also unique individuals who don't always fall in with what may be deemed as female or male behavior. I encourage you to not worry too much about this topic as it people often fear having a hen or will treat the lovies different based on sex.

I have 20 lovies with a bunch of hens, and I don't know if its luck or socialization but I have some WONDERFUL HENS! While some bite if I stick my hand in their cozy, not one of my 10 is henlike in the classic feared sense. I really believe this has a lot to do with the way I socialize with them. I honestly, don't discourage any bitey behavior that is natural or them trying to protect their territory. In fact, if I get a hen bite while in a cage, cozy or nestbox I praise my hens cause they are being good mammas and only doing what is in their very nature. I know this may be a little unorthadox, but it works for me.

Good Luck:D

Yes, that is why I generalized and said that the ways were not 100%.

I don't praise my hens for biting me, but, I don't move when the hens are being territorial and give that first bite, then they learn that biting isn't going to work. Some of my hens are the sweetest too.