PDA

View Full Version : i have noticed silly or strange behavior

lastaonly
06-20-2008, 09:37 PM
hey all....just wondering if you have ever seen a lovie stand on bottom of cage and rub its beek back and fourth on the bars?...about every 10 or so minutes it hops down and rubbs its beek...i think its a boy we call him fred...and the girl (wilma) just sits in the door of thier house (nest box)....just wondering

thebubbleking
06-20-2008, 09:48 PM
Yes my hen boo does it to show dominance and my male does it to scritch himself and they both do it to clean thier beaks:D

butterfly1061
06-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Usually, mine will rub their beak up & down between the bars telling me they want out. Every once in a while they will rub the bars back & forth, but not as a dominance issue. Funny the things they do :)

Cindy N.
06-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Hi,

If this is a new behavior and the bird is doing it excessively, there may be a problem and you should have a vet check done.

Cindy

lastaonly
06-21-2008, 12:55 PM
i dont believe it is new...i have heard it before but didn't know how they were doing it...i moved the birds near the computer and i was talking to them and the male (fred) jumped down and started doing it and the girl (wilma) jumped onto the edge of the nest box and just sat watching...he did it on and off for about 20 min... then stoppped...i guess he got his point across...lol...he has been very active and chirpen all day yesterday and this am woke me up when the sun came up....i think they llke where i moved them...I had them in the breakfast room...i thought they would like it due to there is nice sun in the room and they would be able to see outside...but now that they are moved they are talking alot more and being very social...it is also quieter where they are and the noise of the kids isn't as loud...

Cindy N.
06-21-2008, 02:11 PM
If it's not excessive, then he was probably cleaning his beak or claiming his territory. :wink: I'm glad that you found a quieter room, where they seem much happier.

Cindy

Toneea
06-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Yeah, my kids do that if I don't let them out fast enough. Or if they see something they want just out of reach. Its like they believe if they concentrate hard enough they will be able to pass through the bars or something. Silly birdies. :D

Pips mom
06-27-2008, 01:58 AM
Pip does this too if his beak is dirty.....god forbid if anything gets on his beak! Can't stand a dirty beak! :roll: He will wipe it off frantically until it is cleaned off!

Dede' Arneaux
07-18-2008, 04:16 PM
Sounds like what our two do when they get sweetcorn stuck to their beaks

poochiegirl04
07-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Hi all my five month old frankie, has started to do the same thing. up and down between the bars. also trying to open the lock on the cage, very smart.lol