PDA

View Full Version : Psst! I have a secret for you...

Eliza
06-25-2008, 08:21 PM
Have you ever seen a Brotogeris chrysopterus? Would you like to?

Sure you would!

http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk465/weegreenparrot/th_Pickle001.jpg (http://i311.photobucket.com/albums/kk465/weegreenparrot/Pickle001.jpg)

Meet Pickle, a Golden-winged parakeet. He was hatched on 3/22/08 at Shady Pines Aviary in FL. He's been with me since 2am on 6/22/08 :clap

I've been reading up on brotogeris parrots for a long time now. Some of you might be familiar with Grey-cheeked parakeets, which were quite popular in the pet trade a few years ago (nearly impossible to find now). Or maybe you've seen a Canary-winged parakeet, which pop up at pet stores from time to time. All from the same family, but each look a bit different, just like the lovebird species.

Doesn't Pickle kind of look like a giant lovebird ;) Don't you love his big eye-rings? He's really not that much bigger than a full-grown peachie at this point. Pickle is a GREAT eater. He relishes fresh fruits and veggies. He eagerly chows down on birdie bread and couscous w/ veggies.

I'll certainly share more photos and stories as we get to know each other :)

SammySamantha
06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Great name for such a lovely green coloring! He does look lovie-ish. Very cute.

michael
06-25-2008, 11:32 PM
I think we need more Pickles :nyah:. Especially the sweet variety that look kinda like lovebirds. Oh my Eliza, what a pretty little guy! And such a beautiful dark green :blush:. Oh, and yes, those big eye rings too!........We will definitely need further updates and pics 8o......................:)

Janie
06-26-2008, 08:32 AM
E, I am THRILLED for you and your new baby!!!!!! :happy: :happy: :happy:

He is absolutely adorable! :)

carrier
06-26-2008, 08:42 AM
omg!!!!:omg:

Pickle (I LOVE his name :rolleyes: ) is an absolute cutie-patootie! :D

I have never seen that type of parakeet. Are they all that dark green color? (And YES, he does look quite a bit like a large lovie...;) )

Can these birds talk? What is the temperament like?

Chickobee
06-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Is he a "sweet pickle"? He sure looks like one to me!

I too am curious about whether or not he can talk. I know some parakeets can learn a few words.

Even if he can't, he sure is cute!

Linda

onionhead
06-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Pickle is probably the cutest name I ever heard and it fits him cause he's one of the cutest birds I have ever seen! Naturally I think my birds are cuter, what kind of mom would I be if I didn't, LOL.
He really does look like a big Lovebird.

wilkiecoco
06-26-2008, 03:31 PM
congratulations Eliza on the new addition!!!! I'm so happy for you. I have never seen that type of parakeet before - what a fantastic looking "lovie" he is. The name suits him perfectly!! :rofl: Is he going to get much bigger?

Enjoy your time getting to know each other - and more pics please!! :)

cp.lovebird
06-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Congrats on your new birdie! Pickle looks like a real sweet one!:)

LauraO
06-26-2008, 05:51 PM
Eliza: AWWWWW! Pickle is a cutie! He definately looks like a giant lovie:D . He is one lucky fid to have found his way into your life and heart:D .

Eliza
06-26-2008, 08:21 PM
Pickle thanks you all for the warm welcome ;)

He really is a sweetie. He's VERY quiet so far, too. His big eyes and silly beak make me want to melt!

Pickle went to the avian vet today and did very well. Most everyone on staff had never heard of a brotogeris parakeet, let alone a Golden-winged parakeet.

I'll do a little write up on brotos for you folks. They are a fascinating species for sure!

Mummieeva
06-26-2008, 08:31 PM
What a beautiful baby you have. I hope he brings you much joy and happiness.

Steph

thebubbleking
06-26-2008, 09:02 PM
very cute! More pics please :D

Flapjack
06-27-2008, 12:17 AM
I couldn't help checking in even tho I'm in CA...:D

Eliza- I'm so happy you and Pickles found eachother. I know it was heartbreaking losing Beetle and how you waited until the right time and the perfect birdy for you! Congratulations!!! :D