PDA

View Full Version : Good experiences

Wenilow
06-27-2008, 12:39 AM
Fresh back from our vacation in Michigan, and I have to say, I'm shocked at how well things went. We ended up bringing Kitten with us on the plane, as my carry-on.

Needless to say, I was a little worried before-flight. Would she be loud? Afraid? I had no idea.

We had an hour-long car ride to the airport (which was at 5 a.m.) so everyone slept, including Kit. Once we got to the airport, I heard about three little peeps, and then nothing! We drew in quite a crowd, and the lovely people of Northwest Airlines even gave Kit her own pair of golden wings!

Kitten took the whole situation in stride, and after the plane took off I was able to hold the cage on my lap. She slept, I read. The three weeks in our cottage went well, and she reveled in all of the fresh-picked, organic strawberries from my aunt's garden. I think her cheeks are permanently stained red!

On the flight back, I was sitting next to a little boy, named Alex, who was flying alone for the first time, and he was exceptionally nervous. He became smitten with Kitten (ha!) and I held the cage in my lap while he put his fingers up to the bar. Kit rubbed her head against his fingers and stole some scritches! It was adorable, and I was amazed at how quickly Alex calmed down. Kitten, the wonder-bird! :lol

When we got home, Kit was totally exhausted, and she had to wait to bunker down and take a nap until I could do a thorough cleaning of her home-cage. We had a travel cage that we took which us, which was smaller, and as soon as she saw her home-cage, you could tell she got all excited. The first thing she did was jump up into her cage and explore, play with each toy for a little bit, and then settle down for a long nap.

All in all, the vacation was a really great experience, and everyone agreed Kit made a great travel companion!

LauraO
06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm glad everything went well for you and Kitten. Birds are pretty resiliant and are especially adaptable if you give them a variety of experiences early in life. I'm sure you are all glad to be home and getting some rest:D .

Eliza
06-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Rowena, you get a gold star from me for naming your lovie Kitten -- how adorable! I used to have a rabbit named Puppy and I have a friend with a cat named Pig ;)

Anyhoo: I'm so pleased that your travel experience went well with Kitten! And just think: you had the bonus of making a nervous child's flight a bit easier!

How did you go about dealing w/ Kitten's housing while you were on vacation? Did you ship a cage ahead or did you have a collapsible one in your luggage?