PDA

View Full Version : itching bird?

jayme
06-28-2008, 02:34 PM
I feel bad having to post a question to something I'm worried about with my lovebird Oli. The past few nights she has been shaing her tail feathers constantly. At night she sits on her perch and does it every 5-10 seconds. I think something on her skin or in her feathers are starting to itch her. Either this or she could have just picked up a habbit. Perhaps it is just a new batch of feathers growing in. Also, when I take her out in the morning she seams to groom alot more than she used to. This morning it seemed she had something bothering her by her tail that she kept scratching there with her beak and even using her wing to keep her balance because all her concentration was kept on her tail/back.

I was just wondering if birds can get flees or some kind of parasite that irritates the skin under the feathers? I tried researching but I cannot find anything. If anyone has some information to offer that would be much appreciated. thanks.

michael
06-28-2008, 05:34 PM
If its the "shaking" or wagging of the tail feathers thats drawing concern this would generally be quite normal. Molting on the other hand can cause discomfort and be made even worse by infrequent bathing. Really, if too much time is spent towards behavior such as preening (over preening), feather pulling as in pulling them completely out or chewing them ragged, or even damage to the underlying skin, this could mean trouble down the road. The onset of illness that can cause these issues can include infections, viruses, fungi, and parasites, although quite often most are atypical to those we identify with cats and dogs. Fleas for instance would be very unusual to see on a parrot unless you have a "serious" infestation. Giardia (one of the more notorious of parasites) or some other illness would be the larger suspect. If you feel Oli's behavior is unusual in comparison to her normal activity then a quick exam is recommended to prevent the risks of illness or the forming of a plucking "habit". If in fact its undetermined as to the cause, there are many ways to help direct her attention to other activities as well as improve upon her environment. NEVER give attention to a bird thats plucking their feathers but rather observe them indirectly if needed. Preventative measures require immediate action and always favor the best results.

Janie
06-28-2008, 05:56 PM
I have read that a good way to check for mites is to put a white sheet over the cage so that you could see the mites on the sheet if mites are present. Otherwise, if your lovie is doing this constantly and every 5 to 10 seconds at night (are you saying all night long?) I would take my bird for an avian examination. There are some medications on the market for mites and parasites but I would never use any of them. Many things are sold at Petsmart and Petco type stores that are not really safe for birds. Only your avian vet can give you the corrects meds if there is a problem that can be treated with medication.

Good luck and keep us posted.

jayme
06-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Thanks alot. You guys are very informational. Just to give an update.. I just saw this morning on Oli right above her tail feathers there is a small red scab on a bald patch right where they grow out. Now that you mention, I kind of suspect this might have come from infrequent bathing. Oli doesn't like to be completely covered in water. When she bathes in a bowl of water (1 inch deep) she usually hangs onto the edge and dunks only her head and tummy in the water. I don't think she knows that she isn't washing her whole body. I do know that her spot here on her lower back is least likely spot to be washed. Now what I usually do every second time is run the tap and make a bowl with my hands for the water to pour into. When the water is running she gets excited and does the same thing except I try to make the water fall down her back. She has never exactly liked being covered completely in water. So, perhaps this problem came from a combination of this process of bathing and molting? I do know that sometimes feathers come and grow in on her in quick growth sperts.

I have some good news though. The sore isn't bothering her as much the last couple days. She has been sleeping in her snug little hammock again and not wiggling her tail in the night.

I think it's time to find out where an avian vet is located around here. I don't think I would ever get advice from Petsmart. Petsmart is only good for buying food.

Thanks again for the advice.

michael
07-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks alot. You guys are very informational. Just to give an update.. I just saw this morning on Oli right above her tail feathers there is a small red scab on a bald patch right where they grow out. Now that you mention, I kind of suspect this might have come from infrequent bathing. Oli doesn't like to be completely covered in water. When she bathes in a bowl of water (1 inch deep) she usually hangs onto the edge and dunks only her head and tummy in the water. I don't think she knows that she isn't washing her whole body. I do know that her spot here on her lower back is least likely spot to be washed. Now what I usually do every second time is run the tap and make a bowl with my hands for the water to pour into. When the water is running she gets excited and does the same thing except I try to make the water fall down her back. She has never exactly liked being covered completely in water. So, perhaps this problem came from a combination of this process of bathing and molting? I do know that sometimes feathers come and grow in on her in quick growth sperts.

I have some good news though. The sore isn't bothering her as much the last couple days. She has been sleeping in her snug little hammock again and not wiggling her tail in the night.

I think it's time to find out where an avian vet is located around here. I don't think I would ever get advice from Petsmart. Petsmart is only good for buying food.

Thanks again for the advice.

Although its good to hear Oli seems more comfortable lately I would continue to keep a close eye on her behavior and maybe follow through with a yearly "well bird exam". Also, like Janie mentioned, checking for mites is relatively easy and may be worth a look into. Even though mites are kind of rare there's always a possiblity. A small red scab can result from a handful of sources. Might be dried blood from a pulled feather, an actual sore, or something a bit more abstract. If possible, and again very "indirectly", make sure this spot or sore doesn't get worse or turn multiple as well as watching she doesn't revert back to being "irritated by something".

From what I've learned about parrots and their bathing habits is they can be somewhat diverse. I can also relate to what your saying about Oli's "belly bath" as my lovebird has the same routine. And yes, their backside (especially during a molt) can suffer to some degree. While the reasons behind this type of bathing enthusiasm (or lack of) varies from a simple dislike of water to the need for them to "watch how its done", you can always try getting them interested using a different approach as long as it involves no scarey tactics. Gosh forbid we somehow abolish bathing completely! Sometimes "misting nearby" with a spray bottle on a surface you can easily dry may help. Just have to be sure the spray bottle doesn't scare them away. Some like to bathe in the sink (as you mentioned forming a bowl with your hands) with the water running, and others prefer a bowl/dish thats a particular colour or height. Others like fairly cold water while some prefer luke warm. I've also seen some poeple playing in the water bowl with their birds and actually helping them bathe!

If Oli's molting she could be very uncomfortable. Without bathing certain area's the keratin around some new feathers may take longer to break away and the skin will be slow to shed the dead skin cells. While a good soaking bath could certainly do wonders for her discomfort, its best if she continues to view bathing in the best possible light. If after a considerable amount of time its found her skin and feathers suffer enough to require some manipulative bathing, then you may want to persue the safest technique through your vet or through those with plenty experience. If your in search of the nearest certified avian vet for your area there's a link provided in the "emergencies" section of the "Lovebird Resource Library" The link is http://AAV.org/vet-lookup/ Hope you keep us updated on Oli's condition...............:)