PDA

View Full Version : NEW! Just bought

spiritwolf46
06-30-2008, 06:32 PM
The most beautiful pair of scarlet chested grass keets one would ever see! Okay, maybe they are all beautiful, but they are miine, so that make them most beautiful! :whistle:

Anyway, was not sure where to post this, but thought that I would share. My lovies will be mad after the quarantine, but it is a bird that I have wanted for 20 years! My dream birds! I am complete now with them and my wonderful lovies. I am DONE buying now! :blush:

Have a great evening!

SammySamantha
06-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Come on now, a new critter announcement with no pics??? :omg: I am sure you will supply some after you all get settled in. Congrats on the new family members.:clap

linda040899
06-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Scarlet Chested Parakeets are, indeed, gorgeous, especially the male! The only down side to them is that they tend to have short lifespans (approx 6-7 yrs). I've owned several pairs, and I absolutely adore them!

Congratulations! :)

spiritwolf46
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Come on now, a new critter announcement with no pics??? :omg: I am sure you will supply some after you all get settled in. Congrats on the new family members.:clap

OH YEAH! I have the pic that were on the net. I will send those! Thanks for reminding me!

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/spiritwolf46/IVHQP19AJYCJC1KTQD.jpg

Picture does not do them justice. Here are a couple of the ones that I got from other sites that look more like them.

This is the male http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/spiritwolf46/fruitscarlet.jpg

This is the female http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n22/spiritwolf46/femalescarlet.jpg

My female has some red and beautiful orange on the underside. GORGEOUS birdies!

THANKS SAMMYSAMANTHA! I was so excited that I totally forgot that I had some pic! :rotfl

Mummieeva
06-30-2008, 08:04 PM
They are so beautiful. I fell in love with one awhile back at a place I stopped at. They are in very beautiful in person as babies i know.

Steph

cp.lovebird
06-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Congratulations on your new birdies. They are gorgeous!

spiritwolf46
06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Thanks all! Yes, I have heard that their life span can be very short and that makes me very sad. I have heard all kinds of things about these beauties, but ya know what, I had to have some myself. They truly are peaceful little birds that are so elegant to watch. They are just breathtaking and will have the best of the best as long as I can afford it. (along with my beautiful lovies also, that is ;) )

Thanks all for the wonderful words. It is so great to be able to share these things with those who love and appreciate all birds!

Eliza
06-30-2008, 08:52 PM
They are lovely!

I never realized that their lifespan was so short... but with a lot of love and good care, they'll break some regards in that regard :)

Best wishes with those beauties,

-e-

Toneea
06-30-2008, 11:10 PM
Congratulations!! Must be great finally getting your dream birdies - I can't wait myself! Good luck with your lovely new family members.

linda040899
06-30-2008, 11:28 PM
Linda,
One last thing on Scarlet Chested Parakeets. This is one species that cannot be hand fed from day 1. Many SC parakeets don't feed their young and there's something in the food the youngsters get from mom that can't be duplicated with formula. I had one pair that didn't feed and I tried very hard to raise them but only got as far as 7 days. I spoke to Dr. Branson Ritchie regarding the problem and he gave me a formula that I could make myself that might have worked but I never got to try it, as my pair never produced young after the last clutch that I lost. :( If the babies are fed by mom for 4 days, they can be pulled and hand fed successfully.

spiritwolf46
07-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Linda,
One last thing on Scarlet Chested Parakeets. This is one species that cannot be hand fed from day 1. Many SC parakeets don't feed their young and there's something in the food the youngsters get from mom that can't be duplicated with formula. I had one pair that didn't feed and I tried very hard to raise them but only got as far as 7 days. I spoke to Dr. Branson Ritchie regarding the problem and he gave me a formula that I could make myself that might have worked but I never got to try it, as my pair never produced young after the last clutch that I lost. :( If the babies are fed by mom for 4 days, they can be pulled and hand fed successfully.

This is very interesting. I have read that it would not make a difference if you handfeed these type of birds or not, for they are very skittish and do well as aviary birds. Is that true? Heck! If I can handfeed, then I will handfeed! LOL (when ready to be pulled that is;) ) I have tried to get my hands on as much info over the years on them, so will just have to make a trip to the library to see if there is anything there.

Thank you all so much!