PDA

View Full Version : conure and lovebird?

sphinxface
07-09-2008, 09:35 AM
I really want to get another bird, I thought about getting another lovebird, but then they would most defiantly bond strong if they bonded at all, but what about another species of bird? I've heard about cockatiels and lovebirds getting along.. I really think I like conures though, especially the jenday and sun conures. Do you think they could get along at least? Even if they hated each other they could still squawk at each other :P

Janie
07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Yes, they could still be company for each other, different cages and probably never allowed out together. It's not likely they will get along but you never know. If the noise level isn't a problem for you, Sun's and Jenday's are both adorable. :)

linda040899
07-09-2008, 11:50 AM
As with any bird, you never know who will like/accept who and who will not get along. It's strictly up to the birds so you take a chance any way you do it. Sun Conures and Jenday Conures both produce some decibels so, while they are pretty, they may not be suitable to your home and situation.

My personal choice would be another lovebird and just make sure that both get lots of attention. While they may bond to each other, you can be a member of the flock as long as you don't ignore them and let them get wrapped up in each other. I have several cages of tame lovies and all I have to do is open cage doors to be covered in feathered bodies! If you go for another lovebird, make sure you know the gender of yours and choose wisely.

chromasnake
07-09-2008, 12:05 PM
I can tell you a bit from my experience with two different size birdie buddies...
or ex buddies. :(

My Quaker (conure sized) and Little Yellow Bird got on famously the first six months when they were both still young (they were both around four months old when I got them). They did not share a cage, but when I was home, they would be out together, perching, playing, preening each other, riding around on my shoulder, and carrying on. But as time went on, the play got rougher. I would all too often be taking Yellow Bird's leg or wing out of Apple's mouth, or separating them when the preening got too hard. Apple even took off Yellow Bird's legband (I never found it) somehow! (How Yellow Bird wasn't injured from that I will never know.) LYB matured faster and would follow Apple around trying to mate with him. After that, Apple and LYB just grew apart--and get along fine as long as several feet of open space is between them. They call each other and Apple talks to Yellow Bird all the time (Come here, Yellow Bird, step up!), but they fight when in proximity.

Anyway, that's why I got Tourmaline, who was supposed to be a boy--so LYB would have someone his own size and strength to buddy with.

Good luck!

Flapjack
07-10-2008, 12:31 AM
I have a conure and a lovebird. When I got the conure, (about 3-4 months old), my lovebird was already 10 months old.
I really hoped they would get along, as I'd heard some do. Mine do not.
They take turns being the aggressor, but it's never very relaxing to have them both out at the same time.