PDA

View Full Version : lovebirds with other species of parrot?

sphinxface
07-16-2008, 04:29 AM
Maybe this question is unanswerable, but I thought I would ask anyway :P

When I told my mom I wanted a Conure she said "NO! absolutly not!" but then my mom and dad went to the pet store the other day and my dad had a rekindling of love for budgies.

Now I'm not to fond of budgies but the only ones I've ever experienced are the untamed ones from the pet store that bite the crap out of your fingers when you need to catch them >.> I find their nostrils a little creepy too... buuut... from some videos on youtube the tame ones seem to have very cute personalities :)

I'm not sure if my dad would go for any other kind of bird or only just a budgie, but I'm wondering what would be the best type of bird be with a lovebird?

I just read a part of a post that said the lovebird would probably be an aggressor towards a budgie. I'm almost positive my Beezle is a boy, and if so, would it matter what gender the other bird was?

Sorry it's a lot of questions, I'm not even positive if we would get another bird but I do want one :P

Janie
07-16-2008, 10:14 AM
I'm wondering what would be the best type of bird be with a lovebird?

I just read a part of a post that said the lovebird would probably be an aggressor towards a budgie. I'm almost positive my Beezle is a boy, and if so, would it matter what gender the other bird was?

This best bird to place with an existing lovebird is.... a lovebird. If you are positive he is a male (if not, find out) another male would be the best choice. You know there are no guarantees that any two birds, even of the same species, will get along but you have a much better shot at a peaceful existence if you get another lovebird and know the sex ahead of time.

sphinxface
07-17-2008, 08:29 AM
Well I'm pretty sure if I got another lovebird they would bond with each other and I would never have a relationship with either of them... so I think if I got another bird they could at least talk to each other, they are both birds, but they wont bond so strong that they will ignore me completely... at least that's my theory...

Mummieeva
07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
I had lovebirds and budgies at the same time and it did not work out. Even having them out at separate times was a trial. The lovie's would fly to budgie cage and budgies would nip toes and vice versa. You can have 2 lovebirds and have them both like you. I did and many here do. Some even have more then two birds and they are all bonded to there fid-mama/papa. I agree with Janie to get your current bird sex and if male find another male as a buddy.

Steph

Flapjack
07-17-2008, 12:54 PM
I would have to agree with the others. I had great hopes that my lovie and conure would be buddies when I got my gcc. I've heard of and seen different species getting along, but I don't think it's very common.
While I can have my birds out together, I am constantly having to watch them when they get closer than about 2 feet, and be ready to split them up.
This doesn't make for a very relaxing time.
There is nothing wrong with having multiple species, but it takes alot more time out of your day to play with and socialize each one separately.