PDA

View Full Version : what is my lovebird trying to tell me???

TayTaylor15
08-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Sometimes when My lovie is in her cage and I'm talking to her she will fluff up her feathers and shake really bad. Is she scared? Does she feel threatened? Also sometimes she will grind her beak. Is this normal? :confused: :confused: :confused:

carrier
08-14-2008, 12:50 PM
Beak grinding is a sound of contentment.:)

Lovies will also fluff up when they are happy, although they *also* do this when ill or not feeling well to conserve body warmth....

As far as the body shaking goes, this I have no idea about. I'm sure someone much more knowledgeable will chime in on that and I would be intersted in hearing the answer myself. :confused:

linda040899
08-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Keeping the behavior in context of what's happening at the time, this is a sign of contentment. Lovebirds will also "vibrate" when they are very happy/excited to see someone that they really care about! Beak grinding is a sign that your lovie is content/happy.

michael
08-14-2008, 06:31 PM
For my Goofy lovebird, sometimes beak grinding is a sign he's happy I finally put him to bed!.................:wink:

Triock
08-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Beak grinding can be observed in a lot of Parrot sepcies, my Grey used to do it as well when he was happy or ready for a nap or in the even when going to bed sop nothing to worry about. Jack does it when he is happy and content just before closign his eyes for a nap, or again in the even when its his bedtime, its funny cos when i hear him and look at the clock its bang on 7.30 pm, lol

momo
08-15-2008, 05:30 AM
elmo does the break grinding before sleep, any sort of sleep.

as for fluffing and shaking.. if it is what i think it is.. elmo does this when he's breaking.. he will fluff up and shake his body and his tail and continue cleaning himself.

sometimes he will do it with out breaking.. i think its like when we get a shiver.

sphinxface
08-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I figured the fluffing and shaking really quick, kind of like a dog when they are wet, was related to the grooming process, maybe done to make sure all their feathers are sitting along the body correctly. That was just my hypothesis though :whistle:

RicosPoppy
08-15-2008, 01:06 PM
The vibrating is my favorite. Rico only does that after he hasn't seen me for a few days if I go out of town. His whole body virbrates and it makes me feel very happy to know he's glad to see me... :)

Gill
08-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Wow, i never thought of it as vibrating! Sounds funny, i was always worried they were a little nervous when i felt them do this so I am glad to know its a good thing :D

jayme
08-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Sometimes my Oli bird bird will be on my shoulder and begin to vibrate. I can hear her feathers buzzing away as I scratch her all over. Right now she's sitting on my forearm eyes closed and grinding her beak.

chromasnake
08-16-2008, 01:23 PM
wow, my lovies never vibrated for me, but Yellow Bird used to sit on my shoulder and beak grind.

Apple (quaker) "purrs" and beak grinds when he is content.