PDA

View Full Version : Phases

nfmgirl
08-15-2008, 02:25 PM
<sigh> OK. So now I'm getting a taste of what some of you guys have talked about. I think I have two things going on.

First, I think Odie has a case of raging hormones, and he is beginning to court me bigtime! I reached into the cage the other to take him out, and normally I hold my palm out to him, and he just crawls into my palm with this head down (VERY cute). This time, however, he acted differently. He was very happy to see me, and would come out of his tunnel and climb partially into my palm, but just chatter away and make noises I'd never heard him make before, and back off if I went to pull my hand away. It took quite awhile for me to get him out of the cage, as he was too preoccupied with expressing his newfound "affection" for me.

Secondly, Odie's wings have grown out for the first time since I brought him home from the pet store. This isn't really too much of a safety issue in my home, as Odie is generally isolated in one room and I don't live with anyone, so there is no one to surprise me with a ceiling fan or door left open. But I am now getting a taste of the attitude that I have heard about. He is really starting to show his a**, and sometimes will avoid going back into the cage by flitting around to my shoulder or the cage door to keep from going in. I'm gonna give him a little time with his newfound flight freedom, but the first time he flies away from me he is going to have to get a wing clip. Luckily he's a velcro birdie, so that isn't an issue yet. But the attitude!

Buy A Paper Doll
08-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Ah, yes, the attitude. We had one of those post-molt wing clips in this house earlier this week.

SammySamantha
08-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Isn't that game of "I ain't going back in the cage" annoying! :mad: That was one of the many reasons Sam had to get clipped. After he got used to the routine and comfortable with me, he started playing it. When he knew it was birdie nite-nite time, he'd try to hide between my shoulder blades. Then he'd fly to the top of my bookshelves until I stepped away from the cage then he'd come right back to my shoulder. This game could go on forever. Finally I'd brush him off my shoulder and tell him that I was leaving him on his own. (He HATES to be alone.) I'd leave the room and 10 minutes later he'd be calling me from inside his cage.

Not having to play that game anymore makes evenings so much happier. He also gets morning time out with me now since it doesn't take 30 minutes to con him back into the cage. :rolleyes:

LauraO
08-17-2008, 11:13 AM
I'm gonna give him a little time with his newfound flight freedom, but the first time he flies away from me he is going to have to get a wing clip.

While I've had my share of lovies who needed attitude adjustments, a lovie with a little freedom can be a lot of fun. So I would think about giving Odie a little freedom. Lovebirds are not compliant and it will only be a minute or two before Odie flies away from you no matter how velcro he is. However, some lovies are okay with freedom and will find some fun on a table or a shelf that is not really dangerous, and if this is the case you may be able to let Odie fly off of you.

I would also consider setting up a play area or two for Odie so he has other places to play and land. I've found our birds stay near the play areas and perches we have set up for them especially the really high branches that hang off the ceiling8o .

Of course, I say this having just given my lovebird Chewie a good clippin'. He's one of our tamest lovebirds but suddenly decided he wasn't going to go to bed and it would take a good ten or so minutes for us to get him in his cage. This isn't normally a lot of time, except we have 20 lovies to put to bed every night. They have their own room and spend the whole day out of their cages so there is no reason for him not to go bed at night. After about a week and a half of this I was over it, and clipped four flights on each wing the night he was flying around and causing so much mayhem the entire flock was screaming and carrying on. He was really mad but he's much easier to put to bed now.

nfmgirl
08-18-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, it's official. Odie has reached sexual maturity and has a case of raging hormones. I caught him for the first time doing the "swishy dance" with his snuggle buddy. Later that day I heard him doing the unusual chatter and clicks that I've started to hear lately, and I sneaked in and peeked in on him, and found him next to his snuggle buddy with his head turned around towards it, all fluffed up and chattering up a storm. My view was obstructed by the snuggle buddy, but I think he was regurgitating a little, and perhaps snoozing a little during the process. Guess he was "cuddling" with the snuggle buddy after doing the dirty deed!

He also has taken to his coconut husk tunnel like it is a nest. He is in it a LOT of the time now, and picks and preens at it.