PDA

View Full Version : Itching While Regurgitating?

mfonz
08-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Our 1 year old lovebird, Scooter, has decided he is in love with my niece. He will sit on her shoulder and go through the regurgitation motions, which I know is normal....and which she regards as a compliment. But lately, when he starts this, he starts itching his beak like crazy! Has anyone else ever seen this? We eliminated the chance of perfumes or other scents bothering him.
Thank you,
Michelle.

kimsbirds
08-18-2008, 10:37 AM
The scratching is part of the romantic display...no worries :)

mfonz
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Thank you so much! :)
I had never seen that, and was worried!

thebubbleking
08-19-2008, 06:56 PM
Just wait till your niece is takeing a nap and scooter decides to feed her nothing like wakeing up suddenly with bird gack all over your lips and mouth lol

SammySamantha
08-19-2008, 07:48 PM
Just wait till your niece is takeing a nap and scooter decides to feed her nothing like wakeing up suddenly with bird gack all over your lips and mouth lol

Eeewwwwww! Just . . . well . . . . ewwwwwww! :x

nfmgirl
08-20-2008, 12:59 PM
Eeewwwwww! Just . . . well . . . . ewwwwwww!

ROFL

hee hee

lemonypickett
08-20-2008, 07:28 PM
At what age does this start?

Got to tell ya...... not looking forward to it!

mfonz
08-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Scooter just started this at 9 months old. Don't worry, most of the time, they just go through the motions and nothing really comes out... but once in a while.... well... just be prepared.... (ick!)

Pips mom
08-21-2008, 11:04 AM
Pip does the same thing.....he itches when he really gets into it and the clickey sounds get really loud. I'm lucky though, he never gacks on anything......but he does try to regurgitate at times.

Flapjack
08-21-2008, 12:31 PM
My lovie is female and has "gacked" only once or twice (that I have seen).
I don't know the sex of my gcc, but he tries to gack to my hand alot. So far nothing has come out, but I'm sure not looking forward to it.

sphinxface
08-25-2008, 04:32 PM
Beezle bobs his head but normally not much comes out it stays in his mouth... I find this odd o_o;

cp.lovebird
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM
Yuck! My nearly 1 year old lovie tries to reguritate a lot but usually nothing comes out. On Friday, however, I was getting ready to go away for the weekend and was giving him some scritches. Then he did actually gack on me, eww! , and then he ate it! :omg:

pjrish
08-25-2008, 08:22 PM
Smokie does the same thing sometimes. He makes a clicky sound with his beak, and then does "air hacking" and itching. Fortunately, he's never made a deposit, but I'm sure its not too far away...yuck!

dani
08-28-2008, 04:38 PM
Oh goodness!!! :( Haku does this for Evie all the time! I didn't know the itching and clicking were courtship behaviours too. Oh boy. This is just adding more and more to my wondering whether Haku needs a friend. Poor boy... must be desperate when he's trying to feed the Amazon!

Bubblelady
08-28-2008, 06:10 PM
My dearly departed male Lovie used to produce huge globs which he tried to feed me & then would try to put in my ear when I would not accept it in my mouth. He was known to produce a glob that would nearly fill a teaspoon! But I would never have gotten him--and thereby discovered the joys of Lovies--if his orginal mom hadn't got tired of white globs all over her furniture. He also scratched like crazy. So much so that I took him to the vet to see if he had bugs! Poor little misunderstood sex maniac! Perhaps I shouldn't alarm you by telling you it could progress to a new level. Bo used to carry his courtship to the logical conclusion. It was how he said hello to me whenever we had been apart. This was a daily ritual. Sometimes several times in a day. There was no doubt in my mide why they call them Lovebirds. And he really did "love" me :blush: The vet told him one day, "You're lucky you belong to her. Anyone else would have freeze dried you by now!"

michael
08-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Sounds to me like our little lovies give the "seven year itch" a whole new meaning!........................:)

Janie
08-28-2008, 06:22 PM
He was known to produce a glob that would nearly fill a teaspoon! "

Alrighty, now you are describing (to a T) the amount Shy gacks! It is a miracle he weighs a single gram as much as he gacks! I have scales and weigh him and amazingly, he stays steady at around 55 to 57 grams. Shy gacks the teaspoon size piles several times a day. He stopped briefly when I gave him a wing clip a few months ago. I was so excited but that was short lived.

Anyway, his brother did/does the head bobbing and gacking but never gacked up the food, just went through the motions.... much less messy! My question is, when, if ever, did Bo stop????? :confused: Fingers crossed here that Shy will eventually stop but at least it's not on me, just on his birdie buddy. I have 6 of them so I can change them out often.

All three of my males have done the clicky/scratchy dance. Even Oliver who was already around 7 when I adopted him. I was so flattered the first time Oliver ran circles around me and made those noises. :D

Bubblelady
08-29-2008, 12:28 AM
My question is, when, if ever, did Bo stop?????

Uh, I hate to tell you--never. The vet tried giving him female hormone injections, which worked--for three weeks per shot, at $20 per shot!Needless to say, that was a short lived experiment. Another expensive part of the proposition were the broken bilood tail feathers that resulted from his vigorous bottom rubbing--on various parts of my anatomy. He didn't start the bottom rubbing till I'd had him for 2 months. In fact, his name was Katie when I got him at four years of age! So I guess I should have beem flattered but I must admit it was more embarrassing than flattering. I definately prefer Buddy's compulsive shredding/nest building. But I figure I have to put up with them showing me love in thieir own way if I want to have only one lovie at a time.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
08-29-2008, 01:26 AM
ahhh... i miss the gacking. All my lovies clicked and danced and gacked, though only 1st one would regularly deposit gack on us..and then kindly cleaned it back up. hehehe.... Maka mostly bobbed... and any swishyness was taken care of on his designated "humpy toy" as my husband and I wound up calling it. He was sweet that way. :)