PDA

View Full Version : Is she a she?

alwaysodile
08-20-2008, 06:24 AM
I know there's no way of being sure unless you opt for a DNA test, but since my vet has told me she'd have to put Elphie out to take blood from her I'm not going to go down that road. However, I really am stumped. :confused:

Elphie is at LEAST one year and ten months old now. She's displayed no cage-defensiveness (unless she thinks I'm making a grab for her specifically, which I never do) and while she ocasionally likes to shred paper (well, more like punch holes in it!) for a minute or two she doesn't ever put it in her rump or even use her cosy hut much (which is kinda sad as she used her first one loads and looked so cute in it!).

She also doesn't try to hump toys, etc. So I really am confused as to what sex she really is.

While she's still iffy about fingers she will sit on my hand and is generally a sweet, happy little thing! :happy:

Any ideas? Is she just not sexually mature yet?

She's just so confusing! :rolleyes:

nfmgirl
08-20-2008, 01:07 PM
I'll wait for those of higher authority and knowledge to chime in for their take on it, but I vote for "she" being a "he". Males do the paper "punching" while females shred the paper. Also sounds sweet and mild-tempered. Sounds to me like Elphie is a boy!

Also I don't believe that Elphie should have to be put to sleep in order to draw blood. Also there is a place that can do DNA sexing using feathers instead of blood, which is what I've considered doing. I'm curious whether anyone on here knows if that is a valid way of sexing lovebirds? I know that there needs to be a good DNA database to draw from in order to properly sex for each species. This is the one site that I've looked into: http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm

nfmgirl
08-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh! And VERY pretty lovie, by the way!

michael
08-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I'll wait for those of higher authority and knowledge to chime in for their take on it, but I vote for "she" being a "he". Males do the paper "punching" while females shred the paper. Also sounds sweet and mild-tempered. Sounds to me like Elphie is a boy!

Also I don't believe that Elphie should have to be put to sleep in order to draw blood. Also there is a place that can do DNA sexing using feathers instead of blood, which is what I've considered doing. I'm curious whether anyone on here knows if that is a valid way of sexing lovebirds? I know that there needs to be a good DNA database to draw from in order to properly sex for each species. This is the one site that I've looked into: http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm

Avianbiotech has a very good record when it comes to DNA sexing. Information about their website is also provided in the "Lovebird Resource Library".

I would find it an additional stress to put a parrot down in order to draw blood unless there was some sort of emergency or condition that proved it was absolutely necessary. Before DNA sexing became widely available, determining gender through what was once the common practice of "surgical sexing", involved anesthesia to facilitate the use of an endoscope inserted internally in order to examine for an ovary or testicle. DNA sexing today has pretty well eliminated the need to place birds "under" in order to determine their gender.

lemonypickett
08-20-2008, 07:21 PM
Look at my other post. A video of Eddie getting blood drawn is on there.

Michael loves watching it! ha ha ;)

michael
08-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Look at my other post. A video of Eddie getting blood drawn is on there.

Michael loves watching it! ha ha ;)

:omg: :omg: !! I think Michael may suffer a bit more stress than some birds do when it comes to having THEIR blood drawn....:roll:....Really, unless a bird is already debilitated in some way, most birds fair very well when it comes to having the smaller amount of blood drawn thats needed with some of todays more advanced methods and procedures. None the less, being manipulated by unfamiliar human hands that may be harboring tissue, blood samples (especially if more than one is needed), along with a possible illness can be extremely stressful or even life threating. I'm sure many of us would be more than willing take our companions place once in a while, if we only knew we could.