PDA

View Full Version : The Results are In!... What is Eddie?

lemonypickett
08-23-2008, 10:50 PM
So...... I know what the little beaner is now for sure....the DNA results are in:

what do you guys think?

Pips mom
08-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Ohhh come on......he's a boy isn't he??? If he isn't a boy, I will be wondering about Pip!

michael
08-24-2008, 06:12 AM
I think your terrible for holding out on us!.....How could you do such a thing!....Is this any way to get your kicks?!.....This is just awful trying to create a little "fun" in the name of genetics!....Now lets see....hmmmm...he did take a nutriberry rather early on when you first got him.......hmmmm.....but then those wing clips can really confuse things a bit......:roll:........Well...he...er...she....er. ..uh....does seem like a happy go lucky sort of individual......hmmmmm.....I don't know....some of these lovebirds can be verrrrry tricky sometimes, especially living with poeple who SPOIL them.....hmmm.....you know, boy or girl, personally I think most lovies are attracted to women more than men!.....Its just not fair!.....Ok....what am I saying here?........Uhhhh.....:roll:..................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................I'm guessing Eddie is.........a boy.........8o

linda040899
08-24-2008, 06:32 AM
I can tell you exactly what Eddie is and I've known all the time!

Eddie is cute! :bag:

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Ah, come on Linda.....

I thought you had a guess based on scientific genetics or something magical like that!

Eddie is blushing that you think he is cute :blush:

You had me going... I thought there was something I was missing there!

linda040899
08-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Nope, nope and nope again.

Eddie had to be DNA sexed. Couldn't do it genetically.:D

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 08:11 AM
So... magic Linda's guess is: .....

linda040899
08-24-2008, 08:24 AM
Cute! :D

bbslovie
08-24-2008, 09:03 AM
I think you've already told us when you responded to Linda " Eddie is blushing that you think he is cute". Eddie's a boy or you're going to have to stop referring to him as one! :)

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Tell that to Jack's mom! I think she is still in denial! :)

bbslovie
08-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Jack's mom? I don't get it, sorry... :confused:

linda040899
08-24-2008, 09:20 AM
Just for the record here, DNA sexing is not 100% accurate. If the sample sent in happened to be contaminated, the test will return male. I can think of several DNA sexed "males" that have laid eggs. Hens are always hens.

Laura,
What are Eddie's parents?

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 09:25 AM
bbslovie, I was referring to Jeni's bird FlapJack, that laid an egg after I think like 5 years!

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 09:34 AM
Linda -

Here is a pic of the dad: http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg39/lktistes/Eddie/SweetWilliam.jpg

and the mom, I thought she said was like Eddie. I just dropped the breeder an email to double check.

She also said that all the babies like dad were females, and all the ones like Eddie had been DNA'd male. She also did say that she had DNA males that laid an egg too!

She said that these are the only color combos those birds have ever thrown.

linda040899
08-24-2008, 09:54 AM
Dad is an ino so, in order to produce Eddie, he has to be split for Cinnamon, which Eddie is a visual. All babies that look like dad would have to be hens, as mom is not an ino; she's a visual cinnamon (sex linked mutation). Each time dad passes the cinnamon gene, the baby could be either male or female but that pass is not guaranteed, since dad is a visual ino that is carrying a cinnamon gene. Mom gave Eddie one cinnamon gene and dad contributed the other one. That's why I told you that Eddie can't be genetically sexed.

The only kind of pairing you can genetically sex are those where the female is a visual sex linked mutation and the male is not a visually sexed linked mutation but is split for a sex linked mutation. For example, I have an OF Lutino hen (sex linked) paired with an OF Jade/ino/cinnamon/opaline. He is visually a non sex linked mutation (green). Each time I get a visual Lutino baby, it can be male or female (dad passed ino). Visual Cinnamons and visual Opalines are all hens. However, green babies are males, as the female passed the ino gene but only males can inherit it. Had my male passed a sex linked gene, the baby would be either a visual Lutino (male or female) or visual cinnamon hen, since females can't carry a sex linked gene. Hens either show the sex linked gene or it's not there.

Confused?

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Yup, thoroughly!

Thanks though!

Kristina
08-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Well, what is he?

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 10:19 AM
no other guesses on her out there?

HaleBoppPeachyluv
08-24-2008, 10:55 AM
no other guesses on "her"? heheehehhehe.....

i'm gonna guess girl, just cause i have no idea!

linda040899
08-24-2008, 11:36 AM
no other guesses on her out there?
Since you didn't like "cute," how about...

adorable??? :D

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 11:59 AM
OK, I have kept you all in suspense all day... (more like I am in suspense to tell you all!)

And the answer is.......................

It's a Boy!!

:b_party:

Of course I do have to mention that Linda said it could be a false reading if the sample was contaminated. But, since it was drawn by sterile needle, and put into a baggie right away.... I will cross my fingers it is accurate!

I am happy ... I was hoping the little beaner was a boy! ;)

cp.lovebird
08-24-2008, 01:42 PM
Congrats on your little BOY! :)

HaleBoppPeachyluv
08-24-2008, 02:37 PM
yay! congrats!

I want a boy, but I'm thinking the pretty li'l pied I brought home is a girl.... ohhh the nesty worry!

Z28Taxman
08-24-2008, 04:33 PM
I can tell you exactly what Eddie is and I've known all the time!

Eddie is cute! :bag:

Hey, you stole my usual answer!!!!! :rofl:

linda040899
08-24-2008, 04:53 PM
Hey, you stole my usual answer!!!!! :rofl:
That's what happens when sleep in on a Sunday morning! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

Z28Taxman
08-24-2008, 04:55 PM
That's what happens when sleep in on a Sunday morning! :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

'ya snooze 'ya lose! :rofl:

lemonypickett
08-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Funny Dave. :)

Linda really had me going there for a minute.

michael
08-25-2008, 11:01 PM
OH BOY!...........:happy:

lemonypickett
08-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Linda,

I just heard back from the breeder, she says "His mom is an australian cinnamon split to colbalt/violet".

SHe said to her knowledge, all creaminos were female and all aust. cinn. babies were male.

linda040899
08-26-2008, 09:39 AM
"His mom is an australian cinnamon split to colbalt/violet".
Other than ino masking violet (making it invisible), there is no split for violet. If you don't see it (purple rump feathering or actual purple body feathering), it's not there. Split to cobalt would be written Cobalt Australian Cinnamon. Cobalt = single dark factor.

If you have an ino that's a violet, you won't know it until that bird is bred. I have an OF Green youngster in a nest right now and it looks like the rump feathering is coming in violet. Dad isn't a violet and I've never had any of the babies show the coloring, either. The gene had to have come from somewhere, so if I'm seeing correctly, mom is an OF Lutino Violet......

lemonypickett
08-26-2008, 10:06 AM
She said the mom is off her eggs, so she was going to supply a picture this week. That will be nice.

Then my little beaner's family album will be complete ;)