PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my bird

calico jack
08-25-2008, 08:49 PM
So I've had Jack for about a week now. I made a post a few days ago about being worried about him eating/drinking but those fears have passed it seems. He seems to be eating and drinking on a regular basis.

I had him out of the cage almost every day this week in a towel. I hold him in the towel and pet him he is pretty ok with it after he quits trying to bite me which only goes on for a few seconds.

But today and yesterday it just seems like I'm taking steps backward. Jack really doesn't seem to active in the cage and sits on his perch all day. I have toys for him, and a cuttle bone, but he just chills on the top perch all day. He is also still very afraid of me approaching the cage and my hands.

I just don't know it seems like I was doing so well with him at first but now the progress has really halted. I am a college student and have noisy room mates. I keep him down stairs away from the noise. But when I know my room mates are going to be down close to his room for long periods of time, I put him in a quiet room.

I just don't know what to do, I read the must reads from the lovebird resources and am trying to follow everything I read. Does anyone have any advice for a first time bird owner?

kimsbirds
08-25-2008, 10:03 PM
S L O W D O W N !!!

Really, it takes months for a lovie to feel comfortable in a new environment, with new people, and new things.

The best advice I can offer you is to let your bird set the pace for interaction and socialization. Offer an open cage door for him to come out of, but don't reach in and/or force him to come out if he doesn't want to.
Lovebirds are naturally curious, trust me, he will come out...on his own time. Be consistent with rituals involving feeding, watering, cleaning, toy rotation, cage location, and have TONS of conversations with your bird from outside his cage.
Of course, you must put your hands inside his cage to change food and water, but don't worry if he stays petrified in his own corner. Just go about your business and get what you have to get done quickly. Talk or chirp the entire time you're working.
After several weeks, your bird will become accustomed to your routine and begin to feel comfortable. ONLY THEN will he begin to reach out to you and begin bonding.
You can offer a wooden stick (dowel) at the outside of his cage door and say "step up" and see if he takes the cue. No hands though, especially if he was not handled a lot as a baby!
Make sure you get him a decent wing clip to prevent injury while you may have him out of the cage.
I know it seems like its' never going to happen, but one day you will be minding your own business and you'll feel a little set of feet on your head or shoulder or arm. All the waiting will be justified.
Lovie will set the conditions, it's up to you to set the routine and earn his trust :)
Good Luck!

bbslovie
08-25-2008, 11:19 PM
Hi, I keep a small radio on hand for the birds to chirp to, they seem to like it! I keep it fairly low so if they want to nap they can. That's my :2cents:

lemonypickett
08-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Eddie was a nervous Nellie for at least 3 weeks when I first got him.

Be patient.

Tango's_Mom
08-27-2008, 02:30 PM
I have to agree with Kim on this one. Slow Down. and for heavens sake stop dragging the poor thing out of his cage by force and trapping him in a towel.
birds are not like cats and dogs and you won't get anywhere forcing yourself on him. And IMO towels should only be used when it is absolutely necessary (ie if you need to handle it for some kind of necessary treatment like meds and that's the only way to accomplish what you need to do) I have had my bird over 2 years and I have toweled him myself once, to stop bleeding on and injured toenail the day after i got him before he was tame. I have only ever used a towel on a bird one other time and that was to catch an untamed and fully flighted budgie that escaped it's cage in the office of the boarding kennel i was working at.

You need to be patient and let your lovebird come to you on his own terms. Eventually as he gets used to you and stops seeing you as a threat he will get curious and want to interact with you on his own. But as long as you keep forcing yourself on him and towleing him you will be a threat to him as far as he's concerned

LauraO
08-27-2008, 02:37 PM
I agree with the information that both Kim and Jenna have given you, and suggest you do a search of Tango's_mom posts as you will find a lot of her experiences working successfully with her bird Tango. I also suggest you try and integrate your bird into the goings on around your house. While birds do need some peace, getting your bird used to different people and noises when they are young is the key to having a well socialized bird. Some birds can thrive in a loud and busy environment. The key is getting to know your bird well enough to know when they need some quiet.

You will also find great information in the taming section especially if you look back a ways.

Good Luck and remember patience and love are the only way to a lovies heart and trust. You will have years and years with your lovies so give him/her some time.

:)