PDA

View Full Version : Macaw and Cockatoo for Adoption

lemonypickett
08-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Hello -

Found a local lady needing a new home for her son's B&G macaw and a cockatoo as he leaves for college. They are 5 years old, and live together.

She sent me some pics, do they look a little phycho or what?

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AaN2rhizZMmTsI

Wondering if they look healthy.

From what I can see, the cage has improper, toxic wire, and the pvc perches are inadequate at best.

Opinions please!

Still not sure if I am "woman" enough for a big bird, and am fearful of one that has behavioral issues.

FYI - the aunt said that the birds are very tame, and that the son liked the Cockatoo better. She said they needed to rehome them because the parents of the kid of to college are unwilling to care for them. They want $500 or best offer for the B&G, don't know about the cockatoo,

Any takers ;) ?

Thanks
guys!

lemonypickett
08-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Come on ... you guys must have an opinion on this ;)

linda040899
08-28-2008, 02:18 PM
The "wire" you are looking at is chicken wire and I'm absolutely shocked that the Macaw and Too have not chewed their way out yet! With the power behind those beaks, they should be able to make short work of the wire. It's not heavy gauge. It's intended to fence in chickens!

Question in my mind is what kind of scam is this????? I've never seen pets housed in this manner. No toys, no nothing! Can't tell if the Macaw is excited/happy or is getting ready to take someone/something apart. Body language is incredible!

carrier
08-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Those poor babies! I would take in every one if I could....I just know that I can't have any more pets in my two room studio.:(

Every time I see something like this, I just get >: >: .

The stories of kids leaving for school....moving on...etc.

Why don't some people take the care of their pets seriously? They never seem to consider the consequenses of thier actions when they make an "impulse" buy at a pet store....

The complete disregard of life, in whatever form, makes my blood boil. :evil:

dani
08-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Whoa, that macaw is all riled up!!! Like Linda said, I wonder if it's excited happy or ready to breathe fire!! The wire really is awful. Hard to believe indeed that they hadn't torn through it. It looks as if it wouldn't stand up to them at all. Poor birdies, they must be going crazy in there.

lemonypickett
08-29-2008, 06:30 AM
They were in the Want Advertiser, and I spoke with the aunt. It is definitely not a scam. Wish it were. I am not in the position right now to take any birds on, since I haven't even moved into my house yet. This woman might be able to keep them until I am ready, but I thought they looked so miserable in there that they might be nurotic!

Toni
08-29-2008, 10:25 AM
That macaw looks like he is ready to bite!! I can't believe someone would house those birds in something like that!! I hope they find a good home.

thebubbleking
08-29-2008, 09:11 PM
I would take them in a second if they were in hawaii!
the poor things.. even if they were mean etc everybirdy needs love and with patience and love and treats and such they be they spectacular birds they were ment to be.

dani
09-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Not sure if he is ready to bite or if he is just excited. Ammy does that when he is extremely excited or wants to play VERY badly. Macaws have the energy levels of young children :) excitement happens alot!!! :)

michael
09-03-2008, 09:49 PM
To me, their good condition appears a bit contrary to their environment. I would definitely pursue a more in depth investigation as to exactly where these parrots had originated from. You have to wonder who in their right mind would expend the funds necessary to purchase these two birds only to house them in substandard living quarters for five years?..... So they want $500 for the B&G and are yet undecided on the Too? .......I honestly think there's another different story to this whole scenario.

One things for sure, these guys are upset!...............>: