PDA

View Full Version : I just dont know what to do!!

chellybum
09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
I have had my baby boy (isabella --> we thought it was a girl but later discovered otherwise) - fir a year and a half now - and he is totally bonded to us -

a co worker can not keep her 4 year old lovebird anymore - and is giving it away - since I am used to caring for a lovebird I offered - but now I dont know if it is such a good idea. Isabella spends the day by herself - he always has - and althought i sometimes feel guilty - i think she is content with her routine

does she want a friend?

will they get along? how will I know?

I know this will be a hard transition for nibbles (the new bird) - and I dont know if Isabella will be welcoming

I also feel bad because I want nibbles to go to a good home instead of who knows where else

any thoughts?

thebubbleking
09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
For me personaly i would ask, do i have the room and time for two lovebirds incase they dont get along? Can i afford 2 birds? And will i keep this bird if it doesnt like me or behave.
If you can answer yes to all i would say go for it, make sure of a 30 day quarentine, after the 30 day quarentine cage them seperately and see how they get along while out of the cage for a while before putting them together.
I am sure your lovie would love the company even if it is just somebirdie to cheep to which means more noise.
You are lucky tho, you have a male males will get along uslay with anybirdie but if the new lovie is a hen beware of her becomeing eggnant.
Just my 2 cents:D

Buy A Paper Doll
09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
What bubbleking said.

Just because you have 2 birdies doesn't mean they have to live together in the same cage. Having a neighbor to talk to, maybe some supervised out-of-cage play time together might be just the thing for both birds.

chellybum
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
thanks guys - i do the the space and the time and money for 2 lovies - but i am worried about the noise -- will it get really loud?

chellybum
09-12-2008, 09:16 PM
and what do i do if the new one is really depressed?

thebubbleking
09-12-2008, 09:50 PM
More noise probably me personaly i find it soothing lol
I dought company will depress your old or new lovie show the same amount of time and love for both, and if depressed over being with someone new in a new place patience and love will cure that!

Pips mom
09-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Isabella spends the day by herself - he always has -

rotfl:rofl: ......I'm sorry, but I just thought that was funny! haven't you given any thought to trying to change the name even a little, it seems so feminine for a boy! I see you are still not used to Isabella being male!

HaleBoppPeachyluv
09-12-2008, 11:53 PM
i love that isabella is a male! perhaps he is used to being a girl too? After all, all our boy lovies are pretty enough to be in drag! femme fatales...lol

But, if a name change is necessary, how about Isaac?

I'm beginning to wonder if my Sunnybird isn't a hen after all.... i tell my hubby that i won't be sure until we get gacking/swishy or stripper/eggie!

Buy A Paper Doll
09-13-2008, 08:21 AM
rotfl:rofl: ......I'm sorry, but I just thought that was funny! haven't you given any thought to trying to change the name even a little, it seems so feminine for a boy! I see you are still not used to Isabella being male!
Aw, why change the name? He knows his name. :)

Buy A Paper Doll
09-13-2008, 08:23 AM
thanks guys - i do the the space and the time and money for 2 lovies - but i am worried about the noise -- will it get really loud?
Define "really loud." :whistle: Seriously, I think it depends on the bird.

Milo was a very quiet bird when he was young. When Melody entered the picture, things got much louder because Melody was a very vocal lovie. Now that Melody is gone and Milo is alone again, the house is quiet. Too quiet, actually.

Janie
09-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I'll admit that three are louder than one but I rarely even notice the noise. Even my hubby who is bothered by noise has said he never hears it anymore. Like most birds they have periods during the day when they are more vocal than other times.

I had a single bird for two years and while I thought he was very happy as a single, *I* wanted another lovie, or two. :D So, that's what I did..... got two more who could live together and Oliver, my formerly single boy, could still have me and all the attention he likes. Turns out...... everybody gets along and while Oliver still loves his momma time, he really likes the other two and the three are out of their cages during the day (in their bird room). My three are all males, on purpose, figuring that males would probably get along better w/o a hen in the mix.

I think a single lovie can be a happy bird if it gets enough time and attention but I really think that Oliver, while happy when single, is a happier bird with the company of other birds.

Susan27
09-13-2008, 09:48 AM
When I have a lovie in quaratine (in a separate room) there is some more noise then usual. They will probably call to each other, they will be curious as to the new birdie they cannot see.

Like Jennifer said, it will depend on the bird as to how loud is Too Loud. I have 12 lovies, none are quiet, but some are VERY LOUD. My Chubby actually can scream when she wants attention.....but when I asked my former neighbors if they could hear my birds, they said they couldn't....only the dogs barking....

Good luck with your possible new fid!!

linda040899
09-13-2008, 09:51 AM
With more than one lovebird, the volume doesn't get louder (unless you get a very vocal lovebird with a loud chirp), you just have more chirps! To experience loud, I can lend you a macaw or an amazon.....:omg:

Bubblelady
09-13-2008, 11:23 AM
the house is quiet. Too quiet, actually.

Time for a new Birdie? It may be too soon for you & I don't mean to sound like I know what is right for you or for Milo. Just maybe more noise might be "music to your--and Milo's--ears :confused:

Bubblelady
09-13-2008, 11:25 AM
To experience loud, I can lend you a macaw or an amazon.....:omg:

Or a Sun conure:confused:

Bubblelady
09-13-2008, 11:28 AM
any thought to trying to change the name even a little, !

How about Izzy :confused:

chellybum
09-13-2008, 03:11 PM
hahah well we just loved the name Isabella - and he is so pretty like a girl - we just like to admit that he is a transgendered bird and move on with our lives hahahah

as for the name - when we first found out my husband started calling him Isaboya :)