PDA

View Full Version : Still isn't trusting me

jmeikle
09-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Hi again.

I've been spending time with my lovebird for a couple of months and I haven't seen much progress. She used to be very scared of human contact but now I can put my hand in her cage and she'll try to bite it (most of the time to 'tell' me to get my hand out because she pushes it). I put my jumper over my hand and I'm able to touch her. But I need to push up to get her to go on it but most of the time she just jumps on the side of the cage.

Why isn't she trusting me or my hand? She doesn't seem to like getting picked up or touched. :(

HaleBoppPeachyluv
09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
awww... i had an awful time getting my sunnybird to trust me. Do you ever just open her doors and let her come out on her own? that was the key for my lovie. her cage is right next to our couch and i sit right in front of her door to watch tv or use my lap top.

Once she was out and exploring, i would catch her and take her to the other room. last weekend we had a sort o f a breakthrough as she decided that my hands really aren't that scary and make quite good chew toys. i'm constnatly having to redirect her.

shylevon
09-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Most lovebirds don't care for hands, and even the most tame lovebirds don't like hands put into their cages, ever. Even my most friendly birds will take my hand clean off if I put it into their cages. The cage is birdie's sanctuary, and the one place they should feel safe. If you want your birdie to trust you, you should reconsider sticking your hands in his cage. You don't like your neighbors bursting into your house and grabbing at you, do you? Same thing.

Mydoona
09-17-2008, 11:11 PM
I was SO close today..Mardi doesn't go near me and today I was eating lunch in the birdy room and Keiko came over for a snack...it must have been good because Mardi was looking intently with her head turned (like they do) and flew down and sat on the arm of the chair I was sitting on stretching her neck,she looked like she was about to jump on my arm....and the phone rang and scared her off.BUT it seems she is showing prgress after 11 months.

Bubblelady
09-18-2008, 12:12 AM
[QUOTE=shylevon;118116]Most lovebirds don't care for hands, and even the most tame lovebirds don't like hands put into their cages, ever. QUOTE]

I didn't realize that. Buddy is very tame but still doesn't like hands. I thought that was just a Buddy thing. She will step up on my finger and go to anyone's arm, but I've never seen her go to anyone else's finger. If you approach her with a finger, you will get bit--not hard, just a definate warning nip. And, now that I think of it, she didn't like my finger for a looooong time--like years. I considered getting rid of her in the beginning because she bit my fingers so much. Wish I had known to use my arm instead of my hand in the beginning, 'cause back then it was much more than a nip!

momo
09-18-2008, 02:20 AM
I find that my lovie will attack my hands inside the cage, but outside in her play gym he will step up when asked too.

My lovie is/still is/was sort of... the same as yours. Although elmo isnt completely tame. but I dont bother to get him to step up or anything inside the cage because that is his home and I understand, but when he's on the play gym he no longer attacks my arm, only my fingers.

Pips mom
09-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Well, Pip follows the trend here with not liking hands, but when it comes to his cage he could care less if I put my hands in or do anything in his cage, AND he was always like that, even when we first got him....in fact, all of my birds never had a problem with me sticking my hands in their cages from day one. I have noticed that Pip doesn't like it when I move any of toys around in his cage, and maybe even if I touch any toys at all, out or in the cage.....I will get a good nip sometimes for that! As far as hands go, it's pretty obvious now after having Pip over a year, that he just doesn't like hands......he doesn't seem scared of them or non trusting.....he just plain doesn't like them, or being touched by them. He will get on your head, on your shoulder, very friendly, and I think quite tame, he will step up on a hand when he lands on the floor, and he never ever bites when stepping on hands and will nip gently if you try to pick him up against his will.....never hard. There have been times I picked Pip up cupped in my hands and he didn't even put up much of a fight about it and would just sit there for a couple of seconds contently even.....so he knows hands are ALL bad!

michael
09-18-2008, 07:30 PM
Hi again.

I've been spending time with my lovebird for a couple of months and I haven't seen much progress. She used to be very scared of human contact but now I can put my hand in her cage and she'll try to bite it (most of the time to 'tell' me to get my hand out because she pushes it). I put my jumper over my hand and I'm able to touch her. But I need to push up to get her to go on it but most of the time she just jumps on the side of the cage.

Why isn't she trusting me or my hand? She doesn't seem to like getting picked up or touched. :(

I have to agree most birds really do prefer that you keep your hands out of their home. As for my own lovebird Goofy, even though he will allow me access to anywhere in his cage I still have a great respect for his feelings of being safe when in it. This is where he goes when he's frightened, and this is where I prefer he ends up should there be some sort of emergency.

I would say a couple months and you are now able to stick your hands in her cage is really a lot of progress. After all, some won't let you near their cage let alone go in and physically touch them......:omg:!....... I would maybe try just offering her your jumper covered hand about foot level without the added pushups and see what happens. If she feels less threatened eventually maybe she'll become interested enough to climb aboard. She does though have to feel there's a good reason for doing so like perhaps a little treat is waiting upon the horizon................good luck and keep us updated!........:)

bbslovie
09-20-2008, 12:26 AM
Bea doesn't like to be stroked and doesn't like skritches (I'm hoping some day:whistle:). I don't think it's a hand thing because she doesn't mind when I put mine in her cage, she steps up just fine, she just doesn't like to be handled much. She does like to jump on my shoulder, arm, whatever, to go riding around or just hang out so this was almost a relief to hear that in some way most of us have something along these lines in common. Just my :2cents:!

Kefka
09-20-2008, 12:27 PM
I don't know if this behavior is the odd man out of lovebirds or if it just the method I took to get close to my lovebird Edgar but I have full access to his(actually we think he is a she now but it's too late to change the name) cage. Edgar actually desires me to go into his cage especially at night around his bed time. He will chirp endlessly until I stick my hand into his little furry sleeping hut and rub his cheeks before bed time. He hardly ever shows aggression when my hands are in his cage and most of the time he is the one who calls me to put my hands in his cage to rub his cheeks or comfort him before he sleeps.

I can share with you the methods I used to get him to trust me completely. I can't be certain if it is just his personality or the way I got to know him. I got him when he was about 3 months old. The very first day I opened his cage and spent 6 hours straight with him. It took hours to get him to come out of his cage and then when he finally did we spent about 2 hours of every time I moved my hand 2 inches toward him, he moved himself 2 inches away from me. Finally after about 5 hours he let me touch him. By the 2nd day it took only 3 hours for the same process and the 3rd day it took about an hour.

I taught him from the very beginning that my hands in his cage meant something good for him and not something threatening. I started sticking my hands in his cage at night only because birds are more calm. After a few weeks of rubbing his cheeks and back at night he pretty much accepted that there was nothing to fear from me. Now almost 2 years later, he is practically inseparable from me.

All birds have their cranky times, even he bites me quite often playing around and when he gets excited because their beaks are so sharp even when they dont mean to they still bite. But overall the place he wants to be is on my shoulder getting rubbed all around his face and neck and he will sit there for an hour just letting me do that to him.

I think the best way to get rid of aggression in birds is to find something physical they enjoy. My Sun Conure doesn't like being rubbed on his cheeks but loves being rubbed on his chest. Find a spot your bird likes to be rubbed and do that to him/her everyday. It will get you much closer to your bird. All I have to do is stick my finger out and my lovebird bends his head over asking to be rubbed.

david0007
09-26-2008, 10:00 PM
I know a lot of people do not agree with my method, but it does work. I have 2 lovebirds who loved to draw blood. I did this for 2 weeks and now they love me to death.

Get a pair of thick leather gloves. Put your hand in his cage try to get him to step up and if he doesn't just grab him and make him come out. Sit down somewhere and hold him in your hand. At this point he will be trying to escape and trying to bite you. Just keep holding him in your hand, pet him and talk very softly to him. Do this 15 minutes 3-4 times a day. Do this EVERY DAY. If you skip 1 day you will be a week behind. If he stops biting very soon after you do this terrific, if not do this for atleast 2 weeks. Then after he stops biting slowly let him get used to your hand hold him in 1 hand with a glove on and use your other hand without a glove to pet him. Gradually take the gloves away.

1 of my lovebirds I did this for 2 days and his biting stopped.

Now he always wants to come out, he loves being on my shoulder.

My other lovebird I had to do this 2 weeks.

It does work
What do you have to lose? The bird bites already.

momo
09-26-2008, 10:19 PM
David, I did this method but I do honestly believe this will only work with certain birds....

I did this for a month and now I am trying to undo his fear of my hands.

david0007
09-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Momo, maybe it works with somebirds and somebirds it doesn't.

But the bird is biting your hand already he is afraid of your hand.

If the bird is biting your hand before you did this method and is still biting your hands after you did this method, the only thing you lost was a little time.

You have too teach birds to trust you and you have too help them in the process. When you first get a bird it's not going to step on your hand and let you pet it. You have too help these birds get over their fear of you.

Maybe it will take longer then 2 weeks. I do not know how long it will take. It depends on the bird.

Mydoona
09-27-2008, 02:57 AM
I'll try anything once..My newest lovie is scared of me and wont come near me and its been 7 months since I got her.

momo
09-27-2008, 04:00 AM
David, my lovie does trust me just not my hands hahahaha.
I can pat him with my face/cheek, and kiss his back, its just my hands can't go anywhere near him. He steps up on my arm or wrist, He will only stand on the back of my hand if there is material on it but will stop at the fingers.
But each method of gaining trust is different for every single bird. They're kind of like humans in that sense.

When I got elmo he was very skittish, although he was hand fed the breeder didn't have enough time to give to all of his birds individually.

I think over time you will see what works and what didnt. My first major breakthrough was taking elmo into the bath and placing him down the bottom and I sat in the bath, Got a book, I left some millet on my leg so he could see. and then ignored him and read a book. He tried to run up and down the bath walls but couldnt make it. After about 20 minutes he jumped on my leg, and then 40 minutes later he ran up to my shoulder and preened my hair. Then I fed him some seed from my hand, and since that day its gotten better and better.

michael
09-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I know a lot of people do not agree with my method, but it does work. I have 2 lovebirds who loved to draw blood. I did this for 2 weeks and now they love me to death.

Get a pair of thick leather gloves. Put your hand in his cage try to get him to step up and if he doesn't just grab him and make him come out. Sit down somewhere and hold him in your hand. At this point he will be trying to escape and trying to bite you. Just keep holding him in your hand, pet him and talk very softly to him. Do this 15 minutes 3-4 times a day. Do this EVERY DAY. If you skip 1 day you will be a week behind. If he stops biting very soon after you do this terrific, if not do this for atleast 2 weeks. Then after he stops biting slowly let him get used to your hand hold him in 1 hand with a glove on and use your other hand without a glove to pet him. Gradually take the gloves away.

1 of my lovebirds I did this for 2 days and his biting stopped.

Now he always wants to come out, he loves being on my shoulder.

My other lovebird I had to do this 2 weeks.

It does work
What do you have to lose? The bird bites already.

As per your recommendations, I must dissagree in that forcing any parrot regardless of their disposition does not in anyway constitute a method of training or taming that is neither proper or humane.

What do you have to lose? Plenty. While this method can work, for some who are grabbed this can be so tramatic an experience it may either result in a "long term recovery", or at the least a taming process far more lengthly and challenging than would have occured without use of force. A lot depends on each birds individual personality whereas many will only perceive this type of advance as a threat and ONLY a threat.

Handling any parrot can often take awhile for both the bird and the person to become comfortable with. It takes at the least some experience and a "huge" amount of care to accomplish doing this in a safe and caring manner. With the exception of having to administer treatments, environmental cleaning/feeding duties or in such case of an emergency, the improper handling of birds while wearing leather gloves can not only leave a heavy psychological impact but may also cause serious internal injuries. Is this method really worth the risk?

david0007
09-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I don't know how you reach the conclusion that it will leave "a heavy psychological impact "

Both of my parents have done this method with all the birds they had. They had plenty of birds. Yes they had a psychological impact. THE IMPACT WAS THEY LOVED YOU. THEY LOVE COMING OUT THEY LOVE BEING WITH YOU. THAT IS THE IMPACT.

Before you tell anyone not to do this now that you know it works I SUGGEST YOU TRY IT.

david0007
09-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Mydoona

You said that you have had him for 7 months. I don't know how old your bird is, but it will take longer then it tooke my birds.

1 of my birds I got right after he was weaned. That took 2 days.

My other bird it took 2 weeks.

Being that your bird is atleast 7 months old it will take longer, because he has learned that he wins. You have too keep handling him.

Try to take him in a room without any bird cages. And talk softly to him.

You don't have anything to lose the bird doesn't even go near you now.

lmdarling
09-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I have a female Remi that absolutly freaks if I try to offer her a finger, but eagerly hops down into an open palm. She just does not like being pushed or forced, as long as it's her idea, she is fine. When I first got her, I held her a lot in my palm, and had to grab her out of the cage, but over time she has come to enjoy out of cage time. Sometimes she does not feel like coming out and will not step onto my palm, and if that is the case, I listen to her, and allow her to remain in the cage with the door open so that she does not feel forced. If she comes out on her own great, if not that's fine too.

michael
09-28-2008, 06:41 PM
I don't know how you reach the conclusion that it will leave "a heavy psychological impact "

Both of my parents have done this method with all the birds they had. They had plenty of birds. Yes they had a psychological impact. THE IMPACT WAS THEY LOVED YOU. THEY LOVE COMING OUT THEY LOVE BEING WITH YOU. THAT IS THE IMPACT.

Before you tell anyone not to do this now that you know it works I SUGGEST YOU TRY IT.

David. First, I must apologize as perhaps I've sounded a bit too harsh. Second. At least allow me to clarify this a little better.

Just for the record, what I've indicated was not at all "conclusive" in how any particular parrot would respond towards having been handled the way in which you've transcribed as I have stated myself this method can in fact work for some parrots. As an advocate though of keeping within the guidelines of what I feel is the proper care and safe handling of birds, it is none the less my duty to advise of what risks may be involved whenever anyone suggests treatment or care procedures that may fall outside the confines of whats currently deemed safe and appropriate. Keep in mind, I am not at all questioning any other facet of care you administer upon your own companions as I would have nothing to base an opinion on, let alone fact.

Really David, if I were myself to suggest methods of avian care or maintenance that may raise any question of doubt what so ever, the least I would expect is that someone, regardless who they are, inform anyone and everyone involved as to any such risks even should they be of minor consequence. Especially if for some reason I may have forgotten to add all those details.

Kiwi*
10-01-2008, 01:07 PM
everyone has different method, just like everyone had different ways for raising a puppy, or a human baby for that matter. i think you have to get to see what you think would would best for YOUR bird. one thing might work for you but might not work for any bird or most birds. all that matter is the end you have a very well, happy loving lovebird that trust you!

thats just my two cents.