PDA

View Full Version : Need advice please about 2 different birds getting along

Kefka
09-21-2008, 10:48 AM
I have a peach faced lovebird and a Sun Conure. I have never allowed them to be together because they always seem to go after eachothers feet and beaks.

Can a lovebird and a conure get along? Should i let them both out and come close and while being supervised? I cant tell if they are trying to establish who is dominant or not. I want them to be friends but i wont do anything that risks either ones health.

Will they bite the legs hard or are they just doing it to determine dominance?

Flapjack
09-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Yep- I've heard of it.
Nope- mine definitely do NOT!

It takes way less time to make sure everyone gets enough attention and excercise when you can let them all out at once, but for me right now, it's much more relaxing to do it one at a time. Otherwise I have to be on guard all the time.

I hope someday they will get along, but right now, when they're both out I have to be ever watchful. When they get within a foot or so, they go for eachother's beak, or Jack will pull Chino's long tail.

I was terrified the first time I let them out together. I had a bird behaviorist on the phone with me when I did it. She said just go for it, but be right there to break anything up. A sun's beak is WAY bigger than a gcc (which is what I have) so be very careful.

Good luck to you! I hope your guys become the best of friends.

Kefka
09-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Yep- I've heard of it.
Nope- mine definitely do NOT!

It takes way less time to make sure everyone gets enough attention and excercise when you can let them all out at once, but for me right now, it's much more relaxing to do it one at a time. Otherwise I have to be on guard all the time.

I hope someday they will get along, but right now, when they're both out I have to be ever watchful. When they get within a foot or so, they go for eachother's beak, or Jack will pull Chino's long tail.

I was terrified the first time I let them out together. I had a bird behaviorist on the phone with me when I did it. She said just go for it, but be right there to break anything up. A sun's beak is WAY bigger than a gcc (which is what I have) so be very careful.

Good luck to you! I hope your guys become the best of friends.

The weird thing is my lovebird is always the one who initiates the fights and my sun conure just defends itself. It's like the little guy being the bully.

Flapjack
09-21-2008, 11:53 AM
Yep- here, too. These little lovies sure act tough!

momo
09-21-2008, 06:45 PM
lovies think theyre the head of the marfia

Pips mom
09-22-2008, 12:09 PM
yup.....same here. Always gotta watch those lovies! Pip will be good and then get in a good foot nip if you don't watch him! If I am right there though, he actually seems to listen to me.....or at least behave when he knows I am right there.....he knows when he can get away with things, and he knows when I am watching! If I see him looking at feet.....I say....PIP don't even think about it! NO feet! He knows I will shoo him off if he even tries, so most of the time he behaves himself.......if he's really in a feisty mood, he will always run from hands, so I just keep a hand closeby if he looks at any feet! So far he has gotten in a few nips at feet here, and all of them were not hard bites, except for one.....which drew blood and he got her pretty good.....it only takes once though! so be VERY careful!