PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone keep their birdies lost feathers?

Gill
09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Am I the only person who keeps the pretty long feathers that fall out of their birds? I also keep any pretty small ones too! I found a really pretty tail feather in their cage today so kept that one too! I dont like to think how it fell out, probably them fighting again! :happy:

Susan27
09-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Yes I keep them....even the pretty small ones. I will have to combine all the different zip lock bags I have started...there are many...and they are in all different places!!

Someone here (who it is has escaped me) makes very pretty dream catchers with lovie feathers.....I am not sure what I will be doing with all my pretties!!

linda040899
09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Someone here (who it is has escaped me) makes very pretty dream catchers with lovie feathers.....I am not sure what I will be doing with all my pretties!!
That would be Shylevon. She's very talented and has created some absolutely stunning Dream Catchers! She does nice cozies, too! :)

Flapjack
09-23-2008, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure, but isn't it Shy who makes the dreamcatchers?

Yep, I collect ALL the feathers that aren't mangled or poopy. I've got them seperated by bird.

I thought when I get enough, I'll either make a dreamcatcher or a very beautiful picture frame for each bird.

Flapjack
09-23-2008, 02:27 PM
lol- Linda
Our posts are at the same time.
I've seen pics of them- they're incredible.

thebubbleking
09-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I also save every feather thats not poopy or shreded :D
I have a dresser drawer full of ziplocks of feathers...shhhh i tell my girlfriend its where i keep my bird toy parts!

Bubblelady
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I save mine, too. I saw some dangle earrings in a gift shop made from lovie feathers. They were beautiful.

BarbieH
09-23-2008, 03:14 PM
I've got a Shylevon dream catcher! She even customized the beads for my birds' feathers. Its name is "Dreaming of Eggies." :)

Susan27
09-23-2008, 03:48 PM
I've got a Shylevon dream catcher! She even customized the beads for my birds' feathers. Its name is "Dreaming of Eggies." :)

That's right...she names them!! I forgot!!! They are VERY beautiful.

NickyBeth
09-23-2008, 03:52 PM
Sadly, nope. I vacuum them up with the seed that falls down.

Gill
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Zip bags, thats an idea, i have a little pot they go in but the bigger ones stay on the shelf, usually found by my birds! One was chewed :( Think ill get some!

Flapjack
09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Mine are in special boxes in my dresser. I also kept Jack's 6 eggs from January. Now she's laying again. 2 more so far, and another probably tonight.

Bubblelady
09-23-2008, 06:29 PM
How does one get a Shylevon dreamcatcher?

momo
09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
I was thinking about keeping elmos first feathers from his molt.. but... there are too many now hahaha. i am waiting for the pretty tail ones.

They molt dont they? i know in budgies they do.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
09-23-2008, 08:05 PM
I have just started to find the soft downy feathers that go first when the first molt starts happening.. I'm super excited!

I don't usually keep feathers, but I do have a few wing and tail feathers around somewhere from my late lovies.

I'm tempted to start with Sunnybird now that y'all have put the idea of actually collecting them in my head.

michael
09-23-2008, 08:49 PM
I've kept quite a few of Goofy's medium to larger feathers for use in decorating a very special dream catcher. I always keep the red, yellow, and especially the rarer white ones. Along with the catchers, perhaps this winter when its too cold for much activities we'll get together and also create a collage then frame it.....You know, there used to be collages of various tropical birds actually made of feathers that at one time were quite popular during the cool fifties..........8)

Flapjack
09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Oops- nevermind :(
Jack dropped egg #3, so I won't be keeping that one...

Anyone know how many of Shy's dreamcatchers are out there? I've only seen two and boy are they gorgeous!

Pips mom
09-23-2008, 10:43 PM
I save all the nice feathers that they lose.....the longer ones mostly, but some small ones too. I have a plastic bag, one for each bird and yes I save them.....not sure for what yet! The biggest bag is Woody's because I've had him the longest! His feathers are mostly grey and white(tiel), then I have my Boss girl, hers are yellow (lutino tiel) and of course Pip's, mostly green and some nice bright blue tail and rump feathers, and then I have Ivy's which are darker color green than Pip's, and also have some red ones from her underneath her tail!

dmj64
09-24-2008, 12:43 AM
I drop the loose feathers in the Queen of Nesty Hen's nest box.:rolleyes:

BarbieH
09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
How does one get a Shylevon dreamcatcher?

Send her a PM! :)

butterfly1061
09-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Yep, I'm a feather keeper too. Each bird has a clear glass flower vase (Walmart) on the shelf under their cage. I have their name on it and the year they were born (so I don't forget). http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n257/butterfly1061/Lovebirds/HPIM1295.jpg One day I'm going to get a dream catcher made for them. Tail feathers are the best :clap

Bubblelady
09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
The ones that she's been saving,
The ones that she's been saving,
The ones that she's been saving
To make a feather bed. :whistle:

(Tune: Go Tell Aunt Rody)
If you aren't from the folk music generation, you may not know this song :)

chromasnake
09-24-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm slowly disappearing under the huge pile of feathers that I have saved from my flock of 16 Masks. If I could just think of something to do with them.......

There is supposed to be someone who collects them (parrot feathers) for Native Americans to use when they make ceremonial items. Naturally colored bird feathers are highly valued and used in earth renewing spiritual rituals.

I'll see if I can find the link.

That being said, I do keep the prettier feathers shed by the lovies and especially Apple's tail feathers. I bring some of them to work with me so that I can feel connected to my flock and have feathers tucked in around their photos on my whiteboard. :) The rest are going to one day find their way into some creative project I haven't cooked up yet.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
09-24-2008, 04:54 PM
Yep, I'm a feather keeper too. Each bird has a clear glass flower vase (Walmart) on the shelf under their cage. I have their name on it and the year they were born (so I don't forget).

That is an awesome idea! i'm going to have to adopt that myself! And I love those cages!! I need one for my sunnybird.

wilkiecoco
09-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Jackie - I also really like those cages. I'm sure you posted this before, but what kind are they, and where did you get them?? Thanks :)

Never mind - I just was the link on another thread!!

Buy A Paper Doll
09-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Am I the only person who keeps the pretty long feathers that fall out of their birds? I also keep any pretty small ones too! I found a really pretty tail feather in their cage today so kept that one too! I dont like to think how it fell out, probably them fighting again! :happy:

I keep them too. :)

Pips mom
09-24-2008, 10:49 PM
Also, Mickaboo cockatiel rescue has something on their site where an artist will pay them for feathers, so you can donate them.
Funds for Feathers!
Is your bird molting? We know of an artist who will pay us for "almost perfect" molted feathers (any size). The feathers should be carefully checked for wear and tear, placed in a plastic bag or envelope and mailed to P.O. Box 697, San Jose, CA 95106-0697 . We will send them to the artist!

It's at the bottom of this page......
http://mickaboo.org/help.html

chromasnake
09-25-2008, 08:50 AM
There is supposed to be someone who collects them (parrot feathers) for Native Americans to use when they make ceremonial items. Naturally colored bird feathers are highly valued and used in earth renewing spiritual rituals.

I'll see if I can find the link.

That being said, I do keep the prettier feathers shed by the lovies and especially Apple's tail feathers. I bring some of them to work with me so that I can feel connected to my flock and have feathers tucked in around their photos on my whiteboard. :) The rest are going to one day find their way into some creative project I haven't cooked up yet.

Link to site with feather donation information. I also listened to the person who runs this rescue on a parrot podcast a half year or so ago.
http://www.wingsofhope-nj.com/feathers.html

butterfly1061
09-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Jackie - I also really like those cages. I'm sure you posted this before, but what kind are they, and where did you get them?? Thanks :)

Never mind - I just was the link on another thread!!Robyn, I am lucky enough to have birdfairs in this area about once a month. I have purchased all my cages there for less than $100! Usually they run $80. I was amazed at the price for such a large cage.

Flapjack
09-25-2008, 01:03 PM
Jack and Chino each need a new cage. I wash them so much they're beginning to show some wear.
I know I can't come to GA, but can you tell me the brand and model of those cages? I've seen some similar online, just checking to see if they're the same ones.
Thanks!

butterfly1061
09-25-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't know the make or model as I've had the cages for about 3-4 years now. They are identical to the link that Laura gave. Sorry I can't be of much help. :(

lemonypickett
09-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Those are the cages I was just talking to Michael about last week.

Michael.... you have that link?

I will try and find it ... hang on

lemonypickett
09-25-2008, 03:28 PM
Here it is. An amazing cage. I have 2 black ones.

http://www.birdscomfort.com/flight_bird_cage.html

Christian
09-25-2008, 03:33 PM
I am glad that others keep the feathers too..I was beginning to think that I was psycho and needed a life! :)

Gill
09-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Also, Mickaboo cockatiel rescue has something on their site where an artist will pay them for feathers, so you can donate them.
Funds for Feathers!
Is your bird molting? We know of an artist who will pay us for "almost perfect" molted feathers (any size). The feathers should be carefully checked for wear and tear, placed in a plastic bag or envelope and mailed to P.O. Box 697, San Jose, CA 95106-0697 . We will send them to the artist!

It's at the bottom of this page......
http://mickaboo.org/help.html

Yes, they were both moulting although the amount of feathers i find now has come down a lot!

SammySamantha
09-25-2008, 07:44 PM
I am glad that others keep the feathers too..I was beginning to think that I was psycho and needed a life! :)

Me too! I just keep the tail feathers, though. The are so beautifully colored, I can't resist.