PDA

View Full Version : Two Months (Progress?)

calico jack
09-24-2008, 03:43 PM
I've had Jack for close to two months now and just am feeling that the progress we are making has slowed. I've posted allot on concerns about Jack on this message board and have received some great advice.

So Jack is still pretty scared of me and always backs away when I approach his cage. When I want to take him out of cage I have to put the towel I handle him with on the top of it (he hates the towel). He then jumps out when I open the door.

Jack still isn't crazy about my hands but now will hang out on my shoulder for 10 - 15 minutes at a time. He also still seems very inactive in his cage. He just sits on his top perch all day, moving only to eat and drink. I have toy's in his cage (that he doesn't play with), and a cuttle bone (he doesn't bite on). He's also developed a taste for millet which I only give him sparingly now.

I'm just not sure what to think I have heard advice from multiple users on this board that taming a lovie takes months and to be patient. I'm just a little worried i'm not doing everything I can.

Please give me any advice you can. Is there anything I'm not doing that I should, or vice versa?

P.S. - I'm planning to buy him a bigger cage this week end, about double the size of his current one.

thebubbleking
09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Well alls i can say is lovebirds will do what they want when they want for the reason they want lol that being said patience is key everylovebird is different, my boo has been with me a while and to this day she will allow no intrusion in her cage but if i let her she comes out and once out can be handled will step up etc, Everybirdie is different some are outgoing and other more laid back, but if you put say a ring of plastic keys made for babys on top of his cage he will sooner or later have to explore it, if millet is so loved put just a ball from the sprig on top of his cage and leave a trail of millet balls to where you want him go etc.

Bubblelady
09-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Good advise from the bubbleking. A trail of goodies out of the cage is way better than the towel. Most lovies hate the towel. And if Jack associates you with towels it could slow down his learning to trust you. I used to towel Buddy to clip her wings. She would scream like I was killing her the whole time. When I got rid of the towel she was fine. Mild protests but no screaming.

HaleBoppPeachyluv
09-24-2008, 04:42 PM
My mom's lovie, Hina, HATES hands in her cage & you will see the back feathers rise up & her beak open to bite, bite, bite.

But, if you leave the cage door open, she will climb out. If you leave the room, she flies to find you. She will step up (only if she wants to) and lets my mom kiss her back, but I wouldn't try it myself. She will bite if I try to pet her on head or back, but allows my mom to slooowly and lightly pet her on the back.

I don't ever see her really play in her cage expcept to try shredding thepaper under her grate, or ring her bells.

Hina has been with my mom for about 3 years & only is now mellowing out & really liking being around people.

I like her for her independence & she's just funny.

michael
09-24-2008, 05:30 PM
I'm just not sure what to think I have heard advice from multiple users on this board that taming a lovie takes months and to be patient. I'm just a little worried i'm not doing everything I can.

Please give me any advice you can. Is there anything I'm not doing that I should, or vice versa?

P.S. - I'm planning to buy him a bigger cage this week end, about double the size of his current one.

One way you can look at your current situation is that there is only so much you can try to accomplish within a given amount of time. Also, sometimes even with the best behavioral advice this doesn't mean it will necessarily work with Jacks individual personality. Really, I don't think you should feel as though your not doing everything you can, after all its only been two months.

My only thought at the moment is in regards to Jack's gender and age. Are you absolutely certain of him being a male? Other than "him" perhaps still remaining a bit apprehensive, it may be possible you have a hen who's yet to be comfortable about leaving her cage. Also, as females mature they can often become more territorial which may be the reason for the slower progress.

I would continue to spend as much reasonable time as you can in creating an environment thats comfortable and safe for him as it sounds like you've really made quite a bit of progress already. Afterall, regardless of gender, ten to fifteen minutes on your shoulder at a time is pretty darned good if I must say, so obviously your doing a great job. If on the other hand you find through someone's advice an approach that sounds worthy of exploration then by all means give it a wing. Do at least try to limit your expectations while at the same time giving Jack and yourself plenty of time to see if it will work.

So your getting Jack a new cage? Ah, that is one very fortunate lovebird you have there! Who knows, maybe a little extra room will help build upon him gaining some interest in his toys or other activities.....:) For now, I wouldn't feel to distressed about his lack of interest in toys as they are likely just unfamiliar objects to him. Some can even be quite scarey :omg:! Try not to load his cage with too many objects as these may otherwise present themselves as intruders. Really, it is very common for some birds to ignor what we think they would otherwise be happy about receiving. But then, they don't quite view this the same as we do.

Pips mom
09-24-2008, 11:11 PM
I know this is a totally different bird, but it took me ten months to get my first cockatiel to like us and be tame......some just take more time! I agree with Michael.......if he's sitting on your shoulder that is a big step and a good thing! When Pip comes to me and I am not holding Ivy (who he is in love with!) and gets on my shoulder looking for MY company.....I take that as a huge compliment! If you keep at this, eventually this bird is going to come around! I know it's sometimes hard to believe! but they do learn who loves them and takes care of them and who feeds them! So......what you need to do is just sit back a bit and just let nature take it's course......you can never force a bird to like you, or to want to be near you! and then when that day comes that you accomplish this.....it will be something special......something you worked for and earned and it will show your love for your bird. One warning though.....I know quite a bit of lovies are not overly fond of hands....mine included......but once you reach the point where your lovie is comfortable with you, and say he's on your shoulder......you could walk into another room like a bedroom where he doesn't spend time.......this will make him insecure and you will be his only security and he will tend to cling to you! this could also be a good spot to try with hands to step up. If your lovie doesn't like hands even a year down the road.....don't take it personally! I have learned not to! Once you get to know your lovie, you will understand why he is the way he is, and why he likes what he likes and doesn't like what he doesn't! You will learn.......just as he will.......just takes time!
Don't rush......good things come to those who wait! and also, this is just one of those things worth waiting for!

momo
09-25-2008, 12:03 AM
I can only speak from experience, but the one thing that really moved Elmo and myself along was. No grabbing by the towel, no grabbing full stop.. I use to do this because I was told that if you hold them for long enough they will learn that you arent evil.. That was wrong for my fid, and what I tell you could be completely wrong for your fid. People make friends different ways and I think birds do too. I am still trying to ensure him that grabbing no longer happens, slowly but surely, but VERY slowly he is learning and will stand on the back of my hand and not my wrist any more.

The biggest thing that aided elmos and my friendship was getting him a play gym to play outside in. In the beginning I would just leave the door open and have it lead to his play pen. Once he jumped out of his cage to the play pen, I could take his cage away. I put his food and water in his play pen. (only leaving water on his cage) Now I set up the play gym outside of his cage and he comes and goes as he pleases.

I moved all of his favourite toys out to the play pen too.
And once he was on the play pen I would try to get him to step up on my arm, as he hated my hands. which is still hit and miss but he will jump if he wants. I also made sure if he jumped off his play pen on to the floor that when I did get to step up, by surrounding my arms around him, I returned him to his play pen straight away. Over time he learnt that my arms werent a bad thing and that they lead to good things like being put back to his play pen, or having a walk around the house. I also made sure that he had to step up on my arm before being put back to his cage. But I dont suggest you do that until he steps up on your arms from the floor.

Its taken a good month where I can put my face right up to him and get kisses, and sometimes the occasional bite.

Another thing is, dont bother with cage stepping up. As others have said, their cage is their home. I see it as their save haven if they arent feeling up to having human contact, or if he's having a bad day. The only hand invasion is the millet hand invasion. But i am doing this to teach him hands in the cage no longer mean grabby grabby.

david0007
09-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I know a lot of people do not agree with my method, but it does work. I have 2 lovebirds who loved to draw blood. I did this for 2 weeks and now they love me to death.

Get a pair of thick leather gloves. Put your hand in his cage try to get him to step up and if he doesn't just grab him and make him come out. Sit down somewhere and hold him in your hand. At this point he will be trying to escape and trying to bite you. Just keep holding him in your hand, pet him and talk very softly to him. Do this 15 minutes 3-4 times a day. Do this EVERY DAY. If you skip 1 day you will be a week behind. If he stops biting very soon after you do this terrific, if not do this for atleast 2 weeks. Then after he stops biting slowly let him get used to your hand hold him in 1 hand with a glove on and use your other hand without a glove to pet him. Gradually take the gloves away.

1 of my lovebirds I did this for 2 days and his biting stopped.

Now he always wants to come out, he loves being on my shoulder.

My other lovebird I had to do this 2 weeks.

It does work.