PDA

View Full Version : Clicker Training & Taming.

momo
09-30-2008, 05:17 AM
Hi All,

I was looking up that clicker training can help birds to trust people but also do tricks. I did a search and found a few threads of people beginning clicker training and read that some of you hear have tried it. So I went out and bought one today.. last one in stock!! (lucky I rang ahead).. I didnt realise they were so wanted!

Anyways, I felt as though Elmo and my training had halted a little bit. Yesterday he became a right little *insert word of choice* and would bite my jumper and refused to step up all the time.. It's the first time he's ever done that. (He is beyond hesitant to step up on the skin of my arm because it's quite slippery for him, for him its a break the emergency glass haha)

At the moment I am just aiming to step up on hands.. No further expectations at all.

My only problem is, I go to do my 10 minute session and put elmo on the back of a chair (I dont have a t stand) all he seems to do is find a way to run back to my shoulder.. *sigh*..

It seems that touch is becoming a moderate success but I am sure that is elmo just wanting to destroy something new..:x

I wanted to ask those of you who have done it, how do I get elmo to stop running to my shoulder when we are trying to train?

oh.. another thing is.. I hold the millet on the stick.. and sometimes he prefers to bite my hand then eat the millet! I slowly move my hand out of his reach so I dont get bitten..

Triock
09-30-2008, 07:07 AM
Hi cicker training does work and its all bout timing - you have to click as soon as you get the desired response from Elmo so he puts the sound with the action.
To stop him running up your arm to your shoulder, use the back of your other hand to block his path and usher him back to the desired place.
If he bites first do not give him the millet and do not click - it sounds like he thinks he has to bite first then eat the millet, to get him to step up, offer you hand stick use a longer one if he can reach your hand and offer it to him using your command as soon as he does it - Click and reward (hold clicker and millet in same hand) if he bites firmly say no and DO NOT give millet ( i used the command UP with Jack and didnt use a clicker, but as soon as he showed the signs of stepping up i said GOODBOY and gave him a bite of the millet at the same time) Hope this help and good luck

momo
09-30-2008, 08:56 AM
He doesn't try to run up, but I can see his head bobbing that hes about to try to jump on my arm and it's that, that will distract him from doing touch.

I have tried tonight on his play pen which has worked. I can get him to run from one end of the play pen to the other haha.
and I can get him to touch with in an inch of my hand with out trying to attach my hand which is amazing, because normally he runs after my hands and charges at it like bravehart..