PDA

View Full Version : Artificial lighting

Triock
10-01-2008, 12:08 PM
Does anyone use these special lights for birds I think Arcadia make them or at least they are one firm that make them, UV lights i think supposed to help in keeping your Fids happy and healthy, now i have heard of such lights for marine fish & reptiles but not birds. :confused:

Bubblelady
10-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Buddy has one but not the specific-for-birds kind. I've seen them advertised but you have to send away--never seen an avian one in local pet stores. I got the all purpose one at the pet store more for warmth than for it's light properties. The vet told me to get a 75 watt bulb for Buddy to keep her warm, since she is determined to remove as many feathers as possible.:( I figured it couldn't hurt to get the full spectrum bulb while I was at it. She loves it. It's attached to the outside of her cage with a clip-on lamp. Her happy hut is right next to it, inside the cage. She spends pretty much all day sitting in her hut with her face just peeking out to "catch some rays". From what I've read the avian ones are used mostly for breeding birds. Thank God we aren't in that catagory!

momo
10-01-2008, 11:28 PM
Sort of on the topic but off the topic..

I know birdies are meant to get sunlight.. the only problem is in my house.. where we do get the sun line shining through.. it shines through at 7am in the morning and elmo and i are still sound asleep hahahaha..

I have been taking him on the balcony where he gets light from outside. but no UV or anything like that, as the sun has passed over our balcony.

Should I look at getting him some artificial UV?

I myself try to stay out of the sun as much as possible because I tan too fast and too dark for my liking (yes I know going against the norm..) I prefer to have as pale skin as possible.. which is hard because I have olive skin.. so I try to avoid the sun as much as possible.. I am quite reluctant to take elmo out outside as well even if he's in his cage because I am always petrified that he will get out somehow no matter how tight i secure his cage.. and secondly I dont want some bird sweeping down and trying to attack his cage so he no longer feels safe in it..

is indirect sunlight good for them?

shylevon
10-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Full spectrum = good.

UV = not so much.

Dancelady
10-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Let me say something about full-spectrum lighting -- birds need it to make calcium and to be healthy and to have very strongly colored feathers. And this is direct sun (not thru a window but where you have a screen in place), or by using a full-spectrum light. These lights are expensive, so I have bought a Philipps reflector light that says it is full-spectrum with UV and put it in the bird room, especially for grey days. It is also said that you could put it on all day, or for a few hours, I can't seem to find out how long you need to have it on. So I keep it on all day. It is very useful and does make them seem happier. I have it in a dual light that uses also a normal fluorescent round circular bulb, so both are there to add plenty of lighting. UV is important -- that is the part of the spectrum that they need the most of, and they can "see" way down in the spectrum. They cannot see red or orange light like we can. So this is why we have this lighting, and if you can afford to use Avian or the other expensive lighting, put it in the bird room close to them, 18 inches maximum away from the cage. Light is significant to bird health.

momo
10-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Ok so it looks as though I will be needing to move elmo.. Thank you for that Dancelady, I was ringing around pet stores today seeing if they had full spectrum lighting, but they only had the UV lights.. and had no idea what they were.. and the one store that did only had the tubes that get put in aviaries.

So putting him where there is lights of natural sunlight although it doesn't have to have the sun shining down directly on him is good?

Triock
10-03-2008, 04:23 AM
Right that settles it, placing an order today I am luck there is an online store near to me who stocks these :

http://www.24parrot.com/Arcadia-Compact-Lighting-Kit-P8294/

Dancelady
10-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Natural sunlight is great, and it doesn't have to shine directly down on Elmo. If you see the Avian tubelights, you can put them in a normal light like a desk fluorescent lamp, or get the normal bulbs in the bird magazines that will go in an ordinary lamp (look like a reflector bulb or Ecolume 5000K 15W type lamps). The last one is that fluorescent-round-type of bulb that fits in a normal lamp. (I can't figure out what you call it!) Anyway, these are some ideas on getting the right lighting.

momo
10-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Thank you Dancelady,

I will go with the natural sunlight at the moment, is there anyway to tell if he's not getting enough?

shylevon
10-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Yes, UV is very important, if it is in the form of a full spectrum light. That is what 'full spectrum' means, all the wavelengths of natural, visible light from infra-red to ultraviolet.

What I meant was, don't get a UV only light, as that can be harmful.

Sorry for the confusion.