PDA

View Full Version : OT - And we thought sexing parrots was hard....

Tango's_Mom
10-03-2008, 08:59 AM
SOOOOO....
This morning my boyfriend and I woke up to find that our "male" guinea pig, has a very cute, very small baby guinea pig in tow. It's adorable and I'm hoping and praying it's female so that I can keep her, but in the mean time...
Has anyone here ever owned guinea pigs that have had a litter before?
advice?
expectations?
can they be sexed right away?
what kind of bedding should be used/not used?
I was told they eat solid food right away (almost) is there any thing special I need to feed it? baby guinea pig food?
any other words of wisdom?

momo
10-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I myself have never had guinea pigs before, elmo is my first pet..

but I found this website:
http://www.diddly-di.fsnet.co.uk/breeding.htm
has a bit of info about breeding

http://www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm
about sexing. (you gotta feel for a ... you know for the males....)

I hope this helps.. and picturesss!!! pretty please :).. babies of anything are soo cute

Triock
10-03-2008, 09:30 AM
:omg: mental note to oneself ....never, never buy a guinea pig, espically a male :rofl: or for that matter a female

momo
10-03-2008, 09:33 AM
I read the thing.. that you gotta remove the boys away from mummy at 4 weeks old because they will mate :|.....

Triock
10-03-2008, 09:35 AM
did you read bout cleaning their genitals :omg: :x

momo
10-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Oh gross!!
have fun tango's mum ;)

Janie
10-03-2008, 09:58 AM
Oh boy, I just love 'em! I am the official baby sitter for a young neighbor's pig, Rocky, and he is so, so sweet. When he was researching pigs he was told that females are much sweeter but Rocky is as sweet as they come. When his family goes out of town we keep him here and he loves to be held and petted and I just adore the little squeaks and noises he makes.

A friend of mine had 3 female pigs and all three lived to be 6 plus years old. Rocky is already 4 1/2 and in great shape.

Tango's_Mom
10-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Well the male that is the dady is actually very sweet and cuddly, and our female not as much, so I guess it depends on the individual, I think we're gonna keep the baby and it's a female, just leave it with mom (we have a massive cage) and if it's male he'll be separated at least until he's old enough to be castrated.