PDA

View Full Version : Where should he sleep?

bookworm0550
10-07-2008, 07:33 AM
Should I move my bird into a smaller room at night cuz where he is located right now, it can still be kinda loud w/ neighbors running down the hall and whatnot. And it's also not so dark where he is right now. I also live by a firestation so that doesn't really help cuz they'll go by and startle me at 3 in the morning. I just feel bad for the birdie when he hears all these noises at night. I live in a major city in an apartment so it's never quiet.

Jally
10-07-2008, 07:44 AM
Do you have blinds to make it darker? Maybe a sound machine to block out city noises?

Triock
10-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Jack my lovie used to be cranky if he didnt get a proper nights undisturbed sleep, and it was hindering training/bonding, cos he was always tried. So we bought him a smaller sleep cage which he now goes to bed in in a room that we do not use at night and is dark, we also cover his cage as well in case we have gone away and we take him with us so he is used to it. The difference was clear straight away when he was well rested, and now he knows when its time to go to bed as well, we never hear a peep from him as soon as he is put to bed. My advise quite room for sleep always a good thing. Hope this helps.

michael
10-07-2008, 09:45 AM
I would consider moving him to a quieter location especially if he's being subjected to loud sharp noises or lets say vibrations from stampeding feets.... Give or take a little, lovebirds need on average around 10 hours of sleep. As Triock mentioned, this can definitely impact their behavior the following day. Some lovies can adjust to certain repetitive sounds like televisions or mild conversations provided their kept at a reasonable level. Covering or partly covering their cage can help muffle the usual sounds you just can't help and may also initiate the urge to retire at a certain time by decreasing the lighting, although quite a few will still make that initial bedtime decision on their own. Sometimes, if you hear one too many peeps at night, this could signal too many interruptions are taking place. The other would be a cranky bird who's naps during the day are becoming a little too frequent.

Dancelady
10-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Maybe you can find a small cage to use as a night sleeping cage, where the bird would be in a bathroom or in a closet for the evening. And try covering it up with a light blanket to muffle the noise. They need that sleep, so anything you can do will help. If it needs to be in a room where there is noise, try to put the cage in an area with a screen and a cover to block light and give more privacy.