PDA

View Full Version : Male or Female Which Do You Choose

david0007
10-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I have 2 lovebirds. 1 is 5 mo old and the other is 6mo old.

The 5mo old has bigger bone structure, then the 6 mo old. Does bigger bone structure represent a male, or a female? :confused:

thebubbleking
10-08-2008, 07:25 PM
no it does not, the only way other then witnessing an egg being layed is to dna sex them lovebirds come in all shapes and sizes and colors both male and female.

Tango's_Mom
10-08-2008, 08:31 PM
I can speak to that my lovebird that I've had for 2.5 years and was assumed male I found out today through DNA is female, much to the shock of me and my vets.

Buy A Paper Doll
10-08-2008, 08:50 PM
Yep. Without an egg or a DNA test, you have a 50% chance of getting your bird's gender correct. :)

momo
10-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Yep. Without an egg or a DNA test, you have a 50% chance of getting your bird's gender correct. :)
what about a 49/51% chance? :rofl: hehehehehe..

I know there are some people that can pick with the pelvis.. I think the females have a larger pelvis than males or something like that.

Buy A Paper Doll
10-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I know there are some people that can pick with the pelvis.. I think the females have a larger pelvis than males or something like that.

Perhaps experienced breeders can do it, but I'd think even then it's an educated guess, not a guarantee. I could see it being easier with an adult hen who has already laid eggs. But by that time, you probably have figured out that you've got a hen. :whistle:

Kiwi*
10-09-2008, 10:55 AM
your dont find out tell ya lovie lays and egg or starts its "happy dance" i like to call it as my old lovebird would do.

has anyone done a dna test for there lovebirds? must cost a lot

Pips mom
10-09-2008, 11:14 AM
It costs alot if you do it at the vet......if you can get blood from your bird at home or pluck some feathers, then you can get a kit that you send in for a DNA test pretty cheap.....only thing is.....you pretty much have to hurt your bird some to do this and I know I couldn't do it! Alot easier letting a vet do it.....but also alot more expensive! Nope......I'll just live my educated guess of my lovie being a boy! If by a certain age I don't get any eggs, then I'll be a bit more sure! I think lovies are one of the best ones at fooling people though! and there are certainly people here who can attest to that!

michael
10-09-2008, 11:53 AM
I have 2 lovebirds. 1 is 5 mo old and the other is 6mo old.

The 5mo old has bigger bone structure, then the 6 mo old. Does bigger bone structure represent a male, or a female? :confused:

David. As per everyones input, I would have to agree the DNA test would be the most accurate and economical way to go. Should you choose, here's the link where you can find information about having this test done. http://www.avianbiotech.com/SexingCenter.htm This website can also be found in our "Lovebird Resourse Library" under the heading "Breeder husbandry".

cp.lovebird
10-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I had my new bird at the vet for wellness testing and they took blood for other tests so I asked them to get the DNA sexing test done at the same time. I suspected he was a male but I wanted to know for sure. The vet charged me $46 for the test.

Kiwi*
10-09-2008, 01:13 PM
46 is bad! a checkup at my bird vet is $52

rbalbury
10-09-2008, 09:48 PM
laying an egg, dna and tissue paper..... my lovebird will take a tissue and roll it into a golf ball size ball, then get on it and hump till he's finished. i'm pretty sure (even without the benifit of dna) that i have a male.

lemonypickett
10-10-2008, 02:42 PM
I have had a DNA test done on both my birds. I live on the East Coast, and the cost is $75. If you get the card and take the blood sample yourself, I think it is like $30. Problem is, I hear that if the sample gets contaminated then it will always yield a male result. If you cut a dirty toenail too short to get the blood, I guess that is easier to get a contaminated result.

I thought I had a male, and he proved to be with DNA. The other bird I have NO idea, but will get the results in about 2-3 weeks. Always an agonizing wait :)