PDA

View Full Version : nibbling

elijahfan
10-09-2008, 05:12 AM
mrs lovett really does nibble none stop, esp my hands, i have been told its a sign of infection but he makes a noise that sounds like hissing or heavy breathing

is all chewing loving or could he be angry with me, i need a bit of help understanding where i stand with him, whats love and whats not

he doesn draw blood when he does it i will try and get a film of him, i do worry he is being aggressive or he doesn't like me, he plays on me and would say if he doesn't he would sit on me, but i just want to know he likes me, i know it take time to bond but it would be nice to know if we are going the right way

momo
10-09-2008, 06:02 AM
Elmo will bite my hands.. but he will constantly nibble at my ears.. Im not sure what it is.. but as long as he isnt biting it doesnt matter to me ;)

maybe your hands taste nice ;)

elijahfan
10-09-2008, 07:26 AM
yeah maybe, herts when she nibbles my ears, hands i can dela wih but ears ouchy, and today he climbed up on my glases lol

michael
10-09-2008, 10:33 AM
mrs lovett really does nibble none stop, esp my hands, i have been told its a sign of infection but he makes a noise that sounds like hissing or heavy breathing

is all chewing loving or could he be angry with me, i need a bit of help understanding where i stand with him, whats love and whats not

he doesn draw blood when he does it i will try and get a film of him, i do worry he is being aggressive or he doesn't like me, he plays on me and would say if he doesn't he would sit on me, but i just want to know he likes me, i know it take time to bond but it would be nice to know if we are going the right way

The hissing and heavy breathing as you described is part of the usual mating gesture. He's letting you know that not only does he like you, but that down the road you can have children together... er....uh....baby birds. Many poeple will try to avoid some of this behavior by distracting their bird with activities that don't invoke a mating response, although quite often this behavior just can't be helped. Young birds will often go through a stage where the mating dance and/or gacking seems to take up a good portion of their time, whereas eventually it begins to subside. Others will carry on for what appears to be indefinitely.

Even though this is quite normal/natural, the best approach is to continue with great care and understanding as this behavior can also be somewhat uncomfortable for companion birds in that many aren't able to follow the path of their very existence. As for being on the right path? I would say your right on it :). Just be careful those nibbles don't turn into an unintentional nasty bite.

elijahfan
10-10-2008, 03:44 AM
what i do now is i stroked his head, (i take it its a he by his behavior lol ) if he bits to hard i hole hid beak and say no biting, he seems to be getting better, i don't do it if he pulls him self up with his beak,

i love his little character, even tho he is tiny he is too much fun, i chased him round to get him back in the cage yesterday it wasn't through being uname, i did think it was he was avoiding going back in, but i am happy now to let him out and just be him :D