PDA

View Full Version : Claws

bookworm0550
10-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Ok, so Joey has some pretty long and sharp nails. I look at his feet and I think of dinosaurs. I don't trust myself enough to trim them myself nor do I know how. Should I take him to the vet or purchase some of those perches w/ sandpaper or concrete on them???? I have read that they aren't good for the bird though if they use it all the time.

Triock
10-11-2008, 04:19 PM
there are fantastic trimmer out there now that dont involve cutting the nails, they simply grind/sand the end point of the nail

momo
10-11-2008, 08:32 PM
I read that sandpaper is bad because it can cause saws on the fleshy part of their feet but concrete is ok.. phone your vet because sometimes they do trimming of nails..

If you have someone else that will do it for you.. you need to make sure you dont hit the blood vein in the foot.. if you hold their little feet up to the light and see the red.. thats the vein.. but I was also told as long as their nails arent hindering them walking and climbing their fine.

Flapjack
10-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Both of my babies need theirs done. They are so good about it, but I'm still afraid they'll move at just the wrong moment.
I have the vet do it. I think it's like $5-$7.

Triock
10-12-2008, 06:11 AM
I read that sandpaper is bad because it can cause saws on the fleshy part of their feet but concrete is ok.. phone your vet because sometimes they do trimming of nails..

If you have someone else that will do it for you.. you need to make sure you dont hit the blood vein in the foot.. if you hold their little feet up to the light and see the red.. thats the vein.. but I was also told as long as their nails arent hindering them walking and climbing their fine.

Concrete is bad as it dries out the skin on thier feet, i would never use concrete perches - u can get Sansy perches that are so much better and even Manu mineral ones

momo
10-12-2008, 07:53 AM
I read that there is a brand called Sandy Perches which is good.. but sand paper perches themselves are bad. I didnt know that about the concrete perches..

I have one of the manu mineral ones. it was the last one in the store and they said they werent going to get any more in.. its a large one too!.. packet said.. fit for an amazon.. haha.. but elmo isnt too fussed about that perch though.. >.<

LauraO
10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Please make sure you read up on clipping nails before you do it. Birdies can bleed to death if it's done wrong and you have no styptic powder. It's weird, some birdy nails bleed more than others.

You may want to have someone do it the first time or two and they can teach you.