PDA

View Full Version : Companion for Lovebird if the other recently passed away?

Frisbee
10-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site, haven't quite navigated around to all of the various threads and topics, so this may be addressed abundantly elsewhere. If so, I apologize.

Captain & Tennille, my peach-faced lovebirds were born at the same time and have never been apart. Tennille was found dead on the cage bottom yesterday morning. There is a story of brief illness - about a month or so, treated at the time, and an emergency visit to the vet on Sunday with further examination and treatment (somewhat). I will discuss the illness related issues and result of the autopsy on another forum or later. The vet cannot give a definite cause of death?

Captain is beside himself of course, as am I. He is looking for her everywhere. It is so sad to watch, that I cannot stop crying. He is eating, but it seems to be less. He will not stay inside the cage (which is always open) at least today during the day. He did sleep in the cage last night at bedtime. He is no further than a foot away from me at all times today.

Is it a good idea to introduce a companion to him or not? Is it too soon? He was always the dominant of the two.

I would appreciate comments, opinions, experience and advice.

Thanks,

Lorie

linda040899
10-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi Lorie,
Welcome to our community! Wish it could be under different circumstances. The loss of half a pair of lovebirds is always hard, as they tend to form very tight bonds.

While it may be hard to watch, Captain needs time to grieve for the lost mate. It can take a couple of weeks and all you can do is offer extra attention during this time. After that, it's quite possible that he will accept another mate (after 30 day quarantine, of course).

Triock
10-14-2008, 03:57 PM
Linda is right of course, Captian needs time to get over the loss of his mate, but as in the wild given time if they have the opportunity they will find a new mate/companion