PDA

View Full Version : Do Lovebirds Recognize Their Own Names?

MykL
10-17-2008, 11:50 AM
I've always wondered if my Lovebird actually understands his name like a dog or a cat might?

It just seems that I can pretty much call out almost anything in a high-pitched enough and he will respond happily... :rofl:

Any Thoughts? :confused:

He does seem to respond to the word "Treat" however?... Who Knows?

carrier
10-17-2008, 12:03 PM
Well, I know for sure Fenway knows his name. He actually comes when I call him (if he's not getting into mischief with Wrigley, that is:rofl:)

Wrigley I'm not sure...he used to be named TK, so I think he's a bit confused. Sometimes I think he knows and sometimes I wonder :confused:

NickyBeth
10-17-2008, 01:35 PM
Mine does. If I call her when she is not around (and wandering about) she comes or chirps out to me. If I call her something different, she does not respond. She only otherwise responds to "Pretty Bird" with the same 3-syllable chirp back to me.

Jally
10-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes, Peanut responds to his name. When I call his name, he scurries right over to me. Maile does not yet, because her original name was Evil and the first thing we did was change her name when we got her. She does respond when we talk to her though, maybe because of the sound of our voice...

Pips mom
10-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Pip knows his name.....he's a little smarty! I'm sure he knows it by the way he responds. My other birds I wonder sometimes if they really know their names......but Pip I am sure!

bookworm0550
10-17-2008, 05:53 PM
i don't think joey knows his name yet. I call him everything from Joey to Joey Boo Boo to just plain Boo Boo...lately it's been JoJo so we'll see if he ever learns his name. Sometimes I call him the other name I was gonna give him: Charlie (don't ask, I don't know why Charlie comes out)

bookworm0550
10-17-2008, 05:54 PM
and yes, I call him Charlie w/o even realizing it.

momo
10-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Elmo recognises the happy tone when I say elmo.. if I say elmo in a "you've been naughty".. he wont look at me. maybe because he knows he's in trouble hahaha.. but my mum calls him fat boy in chinese.. *rolls eyes* because when he's fluffed up she thinks he looks like a piggy.. and generally when she says that he will have a temper tantrum at her.. but if she says elmo he wont.

Gill
10-18-2008, 05:46 AM
When i call out anything, like, "babies" or "come on" they respond but i dont think mine know their individual names though, but to be honest i usually refer to them as one pet name instead of their own names :D

thebubbleking
10-20-2008, 05:34 PM
My lovies and tiel definately know thier names.