PDA

View Full Version : wet dog smell

momo
10-18-2008, 10:53 PM
hmm.. I've just given elmo a bath and hes half dry at the moment and preening himself right beside me..

but he has a wet dog smell too him??? ive smelt it before but today its super strong?... I am assuming its got something to do with the molt.. (he has pink coming through at the top of his head now.. :very_sad::very_sad::very_sad:)

anyone elses baby have this smell?

Jally
10-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Ohmy yes. I love the way Peanut smells, but if he bathes, I can not stand to have him near me. Mean, I know, but he stinks LOL

momo
10-19-2008, 07:50 AM
hahahahaha!! same!.. elmo was sitting beside me preening and i just get this smell.. stronger than ever before.. like a dog that has been swimming in a grotty river

I wanted to get him to give him some perfume.. or wash him with shampoo.. (of course I know not too.. lol)

linda040899
10-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Having lived with a variety of parrots, I can tell you that they give off a variety of smells. I will admit that the wet feather odor is not pleasant but once the feathers are dry, most smell very nice. A happy, dry lovebird has a very sweet, pleasant smell to the feathering.

If I pick up Alex (BFA), her feathers have a fruity smell. If she gets excited and she's close to me, that smell will intensify. My macaws also have a very pleasant smell, especially the dry feathers after a bath. If I take Dao outside in my lanai, the fresh air changes the smell to almost musk-like. It's very strong and anyone within 10' of Dao can also detect the smell. In the wild, both smell and coloring come into play during mating season.

Have you smelled your parrot today?????

momo
10-19-2008, 08:58 AM
If the stronger the odor means the greater the breeder.. then elmo must be the fabio of the lovebird world! hahahahahaha..

whats a BFA?.. .. haha fruit feathers.. i want one of them! hhahaha.
whats a lanai?..

linda040899
10-19-2008, 09:13 AM
BFA = Blue Front Amazon and a lanai is a term that means screened in patio, many times surrounding a pool. I'm originally from New Jersey, which is in the Northeastern part of the US and I was totally unfamiliar with the term "lanai" until I moved to Florida.

Bubblelady
10-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Have I smelled my parrot today??? You betcha! I smell my parrots every day. I love the smell of birdies--wet or dry :happy:

momo
10-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Linda that must be a florida only term hahaha I have never heard of it..

I love the dry smell.. but the wet smell I could do with out ;)

wilkiecoco
10-20-2008, 08:09 AM
I have to admit, I love the way Kiwi smells, wet or dry! :omg: My son thinks I am crazy. :)

LauraO
10-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Linda that must be a florida only term hahaha I have never heard of it..

I love the dry smell.. but the wet smell I could do with out ;)

Lanai is used in Hawaii as well.

michael
10-20-2008, 01:50 PM
Nothing beats that stinky birdy smell after a good bath...:nyah:.....I think it smells alot better than swiss cheese and has less calories too...........:wink:

Christian
10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I was totally unfamiliar with the term "lanai" until I moved to Florida.

Ha! I've known that word since I was 4 from watching "Golden Girls" :rofl: That says a little too much about me..considering i'm only 23.

And you guys are def not alone..wet boogie feathers quite frankly stink. But i enjoy his little birdie smell when he's dry. I sniff him a lot actually! :blush:

linda040899
10-20-2008, 02:27 PM
I sniff him a lot actually! :blush:
I confess! I'm guilty of sniffing nice smelling birdies, too! :happy::happy:

thebubbleking
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
It sure is, i also love the smell of bird when i walk in the house, pohaku my tiel has the strongest smell but nothing compaired to pidgeions lol

Kiwi*
10-20-2008, 07:16 PM
I love my bird smell!!:clap and i must be a weirdo for not minding the wet bird smell:nyah:, sure its not a PURDY smell, but i dont mind it either... mhmmm id have a nice smelling bird over doggie stinky breath anyday and i am a DOG LOVER to the MAX!!!! :happy:

lemonypickett
10-21-2008, 06:15 PM
I love the smell of birdies! Just took a deep breath of Eddie - yum!