PDA

View Full Version : New mate for recently (widowed) Lovebird

Frisbee
10-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Hi everyone, I need opinions, so I've come to the experts. I had a pair of peach-faced lovebirds - Captain & Tennille. They were both male. Tennille suddenly passed away a couple of weeks ago. They were born together and were never apart in 4 years. Captain mourned quite sadly for the last couple of weeks - sat quiet, drooping on his perch for days, but has come around. I spend as much time with him as I can and pay extra special attention to him. He comes to see me as soon as I get home from work and stays on me until bedtime. He is now singing and playing more. Here is my question: A lady approached me and asked me if I wanted a female peach-faced lovebird? She has many, many birds - doves, parrots, lovebirds, finches, canaries, parrolets and does have a male peach-faced herself. He is about a year old. He is very tame. She got the female a few weeks ago from a friend who owns a pet store, who got it from a couple who could not keep it anymore. It seems the bird liked the husband but attached the wife. The lady who called me took her in a few weeks ago and told me she is vicious. She attacks the lady even when she tries to change the water. She kept the lovebirds in separate cages and they desperately wanted to be together. She is afraid to put her in with her very tame male. She also said it appears that the female is quite "amorous" - humping and mounting everything. She has laid eggs in the past. She said I am free to take her as a new companion for Captain. I'm not sure I'm comfortable with the "vicious" part. Mine were and Captain is still very tame. Captain was the more dominant of the two but he is not vicious. Suggestions? Should I introduce a vicious female to Captain? Is there a chance she may settle down or that he may calm her down. I am trying to put his needs and/or interests first, but I'm not sure I could tolerate a bird lunging at me. Is a vicious bird always going to be a vicious bird?

Thanks,
Lorie

thebubbleking
10-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Whew lots to cover lol i will be as brief as i can and still answer.
Most hens are territorial of thier cage especially when hormones are rageing due to nesting instinct hens will bee hens doesnt make them any less lovable.
With any new bird to the house and ask a couple questions, can i afford to feed two birds will i have enough time for two birds and if my birds dont get along will i have enough room for two cages.
And if the two lovebirds do get along can you handle if they want to be with you less because the want more time with each other compaired to you, and if they have eggs will you raise the babies or boil the eggs and can you handle the vet for two birds or if the female has an issue like egg binding?
That being said my hen boo lost her mate and was also sad for close to a month she wasnt the boo we had known and loved, i got her sunshine and she loves him and is happy and thos i feel she is not as close as she was with her first love she does enjoy him and his company.If they dont get along in the same cage they can still watch each other and talk back and forth and have supervised play time.
Hope i helped a wee bit:D

linda040899
10-21-2008, 03:25 AM
The "vicious" hen is just being a female lovebird. Hens are very territorial in/around their cages. Attacking the hand that attempts to feed them is not uncommon or abnormal in any way! Many of us go through this exercise on a daily basis! :lol

Here's a thought for you. Captain is a male. In my experience, male + female = offspring and usually not just a few!! Is that something you could potentially deal with? Perhaps is might be a better idea to get Captain another male companion rather than switch genders.

Frisbee
10-22-2008, 04:34 AM
Thank you both Linda and theBubbleKing :) Have thought of all of things mentioned. Pretty sure I would not be into the babies part. I live alone, work long days and "on call" and not able to dedicate a lot of time to the raising/hand taming of the babies. No right now anyway. I'm also involved in co-ordinating my High School Reunion, so the next year is nuts for me. I want him to have a companion, know that I will not be impressed with a female attacking and lunging at me, so a male would probably be best for Captain. This opportunity of someone offering me a female at this time was co-incidental so I thought I at least deserved to consider it. This lady has 18 or 20 birds and the one being offered is the only one out of her bunch who is vicious and attacks and bites her. None of the others do and she has a lot of pairs and many breeds. Preferably I agree a male might be better. Thanks you guys. Lorie:whistle:

linda040899
10-22-2008, 05:24 AM
Lorie,
Since you want a male, if you go through a breeder, request that your choice of birds be DNA sexed, cost to you, of course. Pelvic and behavior sexing are merely guesses and you only have a 50% chance of being correct. While DNA sexing is also not 100%, the odds are still better than other methods. I believe feather sexing is more accurate than blood sexing.