PDA

View Full Version : Lovebirds and my cat

Pugwinkle
10-24-2008, 06:56 AM
I just got my two lovebirds the other day. I will be buying them a nice large HQ flight cage and would like to set it up in my livingroom rather than down in the rec room where we don't spend a lot of time. My concern is my cat. I noticed a lot of people here have cats so hopefully someone can give me some input.

My cat is an indoor/outdoor cat and a good hunter. He does hunt little birds and mice outdoors. He has been very interested in the birds and since they are in a small cage at the moment so in order to keep them safe I have them locked away in my bedroom.

This new cage I will be getting has 1/2 inch bar spacing and is quite large so I'm hoping that the cat will not be able to harm them once they have moved to the larger cage. The birds will not be coming out of the cage as they are not tame so that's not a concern.

What is your experience when it comes to having cats in the same house as birds? If Salem shows too much interest in the birds is there some way to train the cat not to bother them?

michael
10-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Unfortunately, one of the "most dangerous" pets to have near your bird/s are cats. They are both extremely unpredictable and cannot be trained to co-exist in the same environment without some risk. Their saliva also carry's a bacteria called pasteurella that is deadly even without your bird sustaining any injuries what so ever. Anytime a bird comes in contact with cats or other such "predators" vet care should immediately follow. To give an idea of how serious this is, even with vet care this still does not guarantee a birds survival.

Cages, regardless of their construction, do not provide an adequate measure of safety from most predators. Cats especially, can easily get hold of your bird/s either directly through the cage bars using their swift claws, or by compromising the integrity of their cage by climbing onto it.

linda040899
10-24-2008, 08:25 AM
I agree with Michael on this. Cats are predators and birds are prey. The two can't exist together to where the birds will be safe. Hunting is natural to cats and it's not something you can train out of their behavior.

bookworm0550
10-24-2008, 08:27 AM
do you plan on taming your lovebirds? Or letting them out to play around the living room? I don't know if you can truly train a cat not to do them harm since he's already a hunter. I'm sure there's a way you can work around it (like keeping him in another room while you have the birds out), but i wouldn't truly trust a cat to control it's natural instinct. I know, I didn't answer your question (I am allergic to cats though I like them), but I wondered this same question too about bird owners w/ cats (a client at my work place had a cat who attacked his girlfriend's exotic bird). It reminds me of Tweety bird from the Loony Tunes and that cat that always wanted to eat him.

bookworm0550
10-24-2008, 08:28 AM
oh yeah, michael's right. i forgot that cat saliva is dangerous. Duh on me.

LauraO
10-24-2008, 10:28 AM
While you've gotten some good advice, I don't advise keeping your lovies in a room where people don't frequent. Lovebirds are social creatures who need daily attention and interaction. I think it's great you are getting a big cage for them, but I hope this doesn't mean they will live 24/7 in the cage without some work to tame and build a relationship with them so they can have daily out of the cage time when your cat is not around.

I don't have any cats or dogs for the reasons others report. However, there are quite a few members who do so maybe they can give some more tips.

Christian
10-24-2008, 11:01 AM
You stated that your cat was an indoor/outdoor cat. Why not have the cat outside while you spend time with the birds and then maybe when the cat is inside either keep the birds locked away or the cat. You might want to consider having a smaller nighttime cage, so that you can put the birds in a bedroom at night and then have the cat inside in the living room with you. Just some thoughts...

butterfly1061
10-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I have an indoor/outdoor cat too. My #1 rule is when the birds are out the cat is outside - no exceptions. When the cat is in the birds are back in cages with the birdroom door securely shut. I love all my pets, but they have my rules and they must follow them to a T. I take no chances with their life. :2cents:

Why not have the cat outside while you spend time with the birds and then maybe when the cat is inside either keep the birds locked away or the cat. You might want to consider having a smaller nighttime cage, so that you can put the birds in a bedroom at night and then have the cat inside in the living room with you. I agree! Taming is not as hard as you think and I think you would enjoy them even more if they were tame. Think about it :)

Bubblelady
10-24-2008, 03:39 PM
I have no cats but my sister, where I spend every other week end, has two. Both are terrified of Buddy. I don't know for sure, but I think we dodged a bullet, through guardian angels and not through being careful. I locked Buddy in a spare bedroom when we had a family emergancy & had to make a rush trip to the hospital. I locked her in there, in her cage, specifically to protect her from the cats. Five hours later we discovered I had also locked a cat in the same room--napping under the bed. When I opened the door, Harry (the cat) came flying out of the room like the devil was after him. That was several years ago. To this day, he stears clear of Buddy. All she has to do is open her beak in a threatening way and he is gone NOT the way I recommend cohabitation of birds and cats. The other cat hides whenever Buddy is in the house. Don't know for sure but I think Buddy's voice bothers the little cat. I still don't leave Buddy unattended when at my sis's however. And I now check the room carefully before I shut her up in a room.

One thing to consider. My mom had a canary for a while & we got him a cage in a rolling stand & put it where there was no place to jump from to get to the top of the cage. Depends on the furniture setup. Or maybe razor wire on top of the cage--just kidding!!!!

Mummieeva
10-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Be very cautious even with them in a cage. A cat jumping at cage can sometimes startle a bird. I would suggest a spray bottle and give cat a mist if he/she is seen looking at cage like it is lunch.

Steph

Bubblelady
10-24-2008, 08:08 PM
Now that you mention it, my mom did use a spray bottle, especially on the little cat. Maybe that's why she hides whenever I bring Buddy (in her cage) around. She associates a bird in a cage with a spray in the face!

Kiwi*
10-24-2008, 09:05 PM
If i had a cat with a lovebird well since i have my bird first before a cat(if id ever get one in a few years) i would be able to get the cat to not eat my bird cuz i would train my kitten. but for you id be very careful since you have an outdoor in doorcat that prob loves to chase little birdys

funny i just saw this video on youtube and it make me think of this post so im going to post it you have to wait tell 50sec in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdj_BrLRYoU

thebubbleking
10-24-2008, 09:29 PM
Even trained cats submit to thier basic instincts.

momo
10-24-2008, 10:21 PM
For those who said to put the cat outside, I used to volunteer for the RSPCA and they were very against having cats outside for so many reasons, firstly cat leukemia and secondly, if they arent fixed they get pregnant or knock someone up, thirdly, if your cat wonders off too far they may get into fights or get hit by a car.. etc..etc.. basically get injured and fifthly. they kill wildlife... we all love birds here.. so we understand on two levels why its bad....

I would suggest if you are going to have out of cage time with your birdies.. put your cat in another room like a bedroom or something..

Pugwinkle
10-25-2008, 03:51 AM
One thing to consider. My mom had a canary for a while & we got him a cage in a rolling stand & put it where there was no place to jump from to get to the top of the cage. Depends on the furniture setup. Or maybe razor wire on top of the cage--just kidding!!!!

Cute story about the cat and the bird being locked in the same room!!

Yes, I thought of that. If I put it right beside our big screen tv there is nothing there for the cat to jump up onto since the tv is so thin. The only thing I've heard is that birds don't like being close to a tv. Is that true?

cprcheetah
10-25-2008, 09:40 PM
As someone who lost a lovie from cats attacked....it's just not a safe idea. All my cats are indoors, as are my lovies, I care, cherish and love them all. HOWEVER I do not leave my lovebirds 'open' to my cats. If I'm not home the room that my birds are in the door is shut. If the birds are out, the door is shut and cats are NOT allowed in the room. My cats are all STRICTLY indoors, and they managed to have enough 'predatory instincts' to kill my bird Kermit. DeeJay is my 'excellent' huntress and is an awesome mouse catcher. However it tore my heart out when she caught Kermit. That is a mistake I will NOT be making again.

Anneka
10-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I'd not be able to relax if I also had a cat. You should never trust one, no matter how tame / trained s/he is.

Pugwinkle
10-26-2008, 03:02 AM
As someone who lost a lovie from cats attacked....it's just not a safe idea. All my cats are indoors, as are my lovies, I care, cherish and love them all. HOWEVER I do not leave my lovebirds 'open' to my cats. If I'm not home the room that my birds are in the door is shut. If the birds are out, the door is shut and cats are NOT allowed in the room. My cats are all STRICTLY indoors, and they managed to have enough 'predatory instincts' to kill my bird Kermit. DeeJay is my 'excellent' huntress and is an awesome mouse catcher. However it tore my heart out when she caught Kermit. That is a mistake I will NOT be making again.

I'm sorry for your loss of Kermit. That must have been horrible. Was Kermit inside his cage when he cat caught him?

dieflying
10-26-2008, 05:26 AM
For what it's worth, we have two cats, and with our last bird, a parakeet, they wouldn't touch him. They moved out of the way when he came near. He was a biter and they didn't like it. They paid little to no attention to his cage. Our eldest would go and sit to watch him moving around, but if he looked too interested, a stern use of his name would send him back under his table. In fact, he wouldn't even attack our hamster; we once found him in the hamster's food bowl eating the hamster's food while the hamster ran on his wheel close by.

Unfortunately, we tried to foster some kittens that were living outside, sweetest little guys, but one of them got my parakeet. It didn't even occur to me that they might hunt my bird, because I was so used to my cats leaving the bird alone. So on the one hand, if you're watching very closely, the cats seemed fine, and on the other hand, it tears you apart to have to see a bird harmed by a cat. It was probably the most traumatic thing I've ever seen myself.

Pugwinkle
10-26-2008, 06:45 AM
For what it's worth, we have two cats, and with our last bird, a parakeet, they wouldn't touch him. They moved out of the way when he came near. He was a biter and they didn't like it. They paid little to no attention to his cage. Our eldest would go and sit to watch him moving around, but if he looked too interested, a stern use of his name would send him back under his table. In fact, he wouldn't even attack our hamster; we once found him in the hamster's food bowl eating the hamster's food while the hamster ran on his wheel close by.

Unfortunately, we tried to foster some kittens that were living outside, sweetest little guys, but one of them got my parakeet. It didn't even occur to me that they might hunt my bird, because I was so used to my cats leaving the bird alone. So on the one hand, if you're watching very closely, the cats seemed fine, and on the other hand, it tears you apart to have to see a bird harmed by a cat. It was probably the most traumatic thing I've ever seen myself.

I appreciate hearing about your experience with cats and birds, but as I asked the last poster, was the bird outside of the cage or inside when the cat attacked?

dieflying
10-26-2008, 07:00 AM
He was out, on a gym that I had placed on a tall shelf. The kitten was no older than maybe 7 or 8 weeks, so I'm not sure how he managed to get him. I imagine that the bird came down for a closer look at the cat, as he wasn't afraid of our cats, and that's how he got the bird.

For bigger cats that do show interest in hunting birds, I would say if they really want they could harm a bird through cage bars. Smaller ones that can't find a way up to the cage would probably not bother with it. There was no way those kittens could have reached the cage - I keep it up high - but my adult cats could probably have found a way. And then you have to worry about them tipping it, as that could really injure or kill the bird. Maybe if you had a cage with long legs, away from surfaces the cats could get up on.

BarbieH
10-26-2008, 12:29 PM
I have a cat and seven lovies. I agree that the responsibility to ensure the safety of all the pets must rest with the owner.

Cages aren't absolutely safe haven for birds if they have food dish windows that slide open easily. Too many birds learn how to be good escape artists. A C-clamp or simple clip can prevent that scenario.

Cats can be discouraged from hanging around the birds; the spray water is a very good method. Another good way is to clap your hand loudly in the direction of the cat's face, and say NO when she goes near a cage. It's very effective around the birds, because it doesn't seem to bother them at all, but the cat hates it.

I also like praising the cat when she walks away from the birds. Positive reinforcement seems to work with most all animals.

Their natural inclinations can work in our benefit, too. Cat sleeps most all day, when the birds are most active. So if I bring a bird out, I shut the door to Neko's bedroom (OK, my bedroom) first. Also, remember to do things to keep kitty from getting jealous. Feed the cat before the birds; it's better to keep the predator animal well fed, anyway.

LauraO
10-26-2008, 12:43 PM
The only thing I've heard is that birds don't like being close to a tv. Is that true?

No. Birds do not like being by the television. It's too stressful for them.

cprcheetah
10-26-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry for your loss of Kermit. That must have been horrible. Was Kermit inside his cage when he cat caught him?

Kermit was inside the cage but there was a weak spot in the cage, Kermit poking his head out and they nabbed him. Pulled him through the bars of the cage.

Pugwinkle
10-27-2008, 04:40 AM
Kermit was inside the cage but there was a weak spot in the cage, Kermit poking his head out and they nabbed him. Pulled him through the bars of the cage.

OH gosh that's sad. :(

bookworm0550
10-27-2008, 10:28 PM
:( awww, poor kermit. so sad. poor birdie