PDA

View Full Version : When do babies mature?

bookworm0550
10-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Just a curious question. When do lovebirds become adults? When do they mature? Is it after their first molt and into their adult coloring? Or when they become sexually mature? I'm wondering how much longer my baby will be a baby :( Well, i'm not really sad. they just grow up so fast.

linda040899
10-24-2008, 09:22 AM
It's my understanding that they are considered adults once they are sexually mature. That being the case, age-wise, adulthood happens between ages 6-7 months. Even though they are sexually mature, they are not ready to be parents until they are at least 12 months old. Eighteen months is even better, if you can get them to wait that long!!

LauraO
10-24-2008, 10:23 AM
Just a curious question. When do lovebirds become adults? When do they mature? Is it after their first molt and into their adult coloring? Or when they become sexually mature? I'm wondering how much longer my baby will be a baby :( Well, i'm not really sad. they just grow up so fast.

It's funny cause I used to love my babies when they were babies as well. However, as some of my lovies have hit 5, 6, and even 8 years old I find them much more fun then they were in the birdy teens:omg:. I think it's because they mellow in a lot of ways, I know them so much better, and our bond is stronger than when they were a baby. Hopefully, you and your birdy will have many a great year together.

Good Luck :)

LoveBug12
11-01-2008, 09:04 PM
It doesn't matter if your baby is no longer an actual baby... He will always be your little one! =]

Buy A Paper Doll
11-02-2008, 07:45 AM
Linda, is 6-7 months when babies reach maturity in terms of size as well?

Asking because baby Lily is 5 1/2 months old now, and Milo is definitely bigger at 50 grams.

lemonypickett
11-02-2008, 09:16 AM
After Eddie's orange beak faded, and he had his first molt I was shocked at how grown up he looked!

I look at his baby pictures now and think he looks so little.