PDA

View Full Version : lovebird plucking his feathers

lovebirdlover
10-28-2008, 12:20 AM
Hi, my lovebird is scratching and plucking his feathers on his neck. This is mostly happening when I start playing with other birds. Even though hes the bird whose out of his cage the most, he seems to be getting jealous and he is itching himself. I'm going to take him to the vet, but wanted to ask if anyone has been through something like this?

Thanks!!!:confused:

linda040899
10-28-2008, 12:38 AM
I think the first question that comes to mind is is he molting? New feathers coming in can be itchy so that's one possibility.

I think a vet visit is a good idea, if only to rule out possible medical causes. You will probably find out what's at the root of the plucking by finding out what isn't causing it, if that makes any sense.

I wouldn't rule out your jealousy theory, either. Harley, my TAG, will chew his chest feathers if he thinks I'm not around enough. Now mind you, this is from HIS point of view!

lovebirdlover
10-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks, yah to answer your question, i highly doubt that hes molting because there is a bold spot on his neck, and i've seen him molting and this is not it.