PDA

View Full Version : Danger!

Mydoona
10-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Oh a crisis was divirted this morning, Keiko LOVES his happy hut and humps it daily and sleeps on top of it but today I opened their cage to let them out and Keikos foot was caught in some of the happy hut material and he caused quite a ruccus trying to get his foot out. I had to rip his happy hut to free him, so I threw it away (he is SO going to be upset with me).
I am now wondering whether to replace it or not?
Since I first got him he slept and played with the happy hut and loved it and Im scared that he will be sad without it.
everytime I went to wash the thing he would squark till it was returned.
BUT I dont want him to get his little foot caught in another one while Im not there and then what would he do?

chromasnake
10-30-2008, 08:48 PM
Make sure the material is tight-woven--there are different grades of polar fleece (if you use fleece) You dont want the sort that 'pills' when washed that is soft and popular for clothing, since those little pills get caught in birdie feet. You might also consider taking the hut out during the day or when you aren't home--many of us do that regularly, too. You can also consider making your own happy huts by buying a yard or so of good tightly woven material so you can toss one and replace it before it is worn to stringiness.

I ended up taking away Yellow Birds and Tourmaline's hut altogether, and they got over it ...eventually. Maybe a coconut shell or gourd hut would be a safe and cozy alternative for your bird?