PDA

View Full Version : Plucking feathers

FLINT
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Lovebird lover,

Emma 2yrs Peachface, has been plucking her feathers for about 6 months now. Emma also has two chicks who she is plucking clean of feathers. Although one is 4 weeks it only has its main feathers -- and I fear, not for ver much longer. Any advice besides take her to the vet?
Thanks

Flint

michael
11-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Really, this is somewhat a difficult question to answer, especially if for some other reason Emma's been predisposed to plucking before having babies. For now, the only thing I can think of is she's plucked a broadpatch long before laying her clutch of eggs. Six months on the other hand would leave some doubt that this is the case. Next question.... Where exactly has she been plucking herself for the last six months?

From what I've read, mothers will sometimes pluck their babies about the time their feathers really start to grow in (3 weeks). Usually around five weeks they will then hopefully stop. If you can, maybe give a better discription of how much plucking activity is currently going on. Unfortunately for now, removing her for a vet exam would not be recommended until she finishes out her duties caring for her young. Please keep us posted and perhaps later some others can hopefully share their views.

FLINT
11-04-2008, 03:16 PM
Michael,

The owner of Emma gave her to me because she began biting so much they were having much trouble. I was able to work around this and she rarely bit me -- though when she did she broke the skin.

She was introduced to my male bird and they started mating immediately. She was soon plucking her chest. I took her brood and after feeding them by hand gave them away. Her second time there ended being only one chick. She plucked this baby so that after it was weened it took a while for all the feathers to grow in. She presently has two chicks. She is plucking them and is also plucking herself on her back -- there are no more feathers on her back.

I recently have been giving her more darkness for perhaps more sleep and a calmer environment. I think this may be helpful.

Thanks

Flint

michael
11-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Hi Flint. Thanks for the additional info regarding how Emma originally came into your care. Given the complexities of FDB, it may be important to look back from the very start as a way to view such problem behavior as a whole, then hopefully you can soon narrow it down to the cause/s.

From my own perspective, I believe she should eventually be examined by an avian vet. I say this mainly because part of her actions, while they do seem quite normal, still leaves a chance part of them may not be. Also too, is the possibilty that some of this could easily be corrected whereas if left unattended may very well get worse.

To sum up my own thoughts on why she is plucking herself, number one may be from her remaining in a constant breeding mode. Such conditions as a temporary hormone imbalance would be enough to send any bird off towards self abuse. As for the babies, excessive courting behavior may add to their being plucked as a way to move on towards the next clutch. Really, its too difficult to arrive at any exact cause without first ruling out all medical issues best diagnosed by an avian vet. It is there your Emma could not only be checked for such conditions as hypothyroidism and the opposed excessive hormones, but for fungal and bacterial problems as well.

lovebirdlover
11-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Flint,
when my birds first had their babies they also plucked out the baby chicks feathers and it would also occasionally bleed as well. The best thing to do is if the babies can eat on their own, then I would separate them from the parents, because chances are the mother is doing this because she is jealous. My bird plucks his feathers now because he is jealous of the other birds I have. If they can eat on their own and if you dont separate them, then the mother might end up killing them. Unfortunately that happened to one of the babies my bird had. Let me know what happened.