PDA

View Full Version : Picking out the new/first lovebird cage!

LoveBug12
11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Hello everyone! I keep posting about my little lovebird I'm getting. I'm just so excited! Tomorrow (November 11th) Is my birthday but the lovebird won't be ready until saturday or sunday so I will have to wait. But I get to go to the pet store tomorrow to pick out my cage and toys for my little bird! I actually went there today to check out the cages and saw one that I really liked. It has 2 perches and 1 that hangs from the top. It looks like the perfect size for the lovebird and the bar spacing is perfect. There is a whole isle of nothing but bird toys/supplies/food...etc. They also have wild lovebirds there at the pet store that are absolutely BEAUTIFUL! Including Sun Conures and very pretty English Budgies. Oh! and also on the cage, it has a heart on the door so I thought that would be perfect for a LOVE bird ;) . It has 2 food dishes and 3 doors but I will make sure my bird doesn't learn to open them:rofl: . What I wanted to ask is if there are any preffered toys or accesories that I can get my little bird so It would feel right at home and comfortable in the environment. I was looking for the little bird hammock but they did not have those. Any suggestions? :)

thebubbleking
11-10-2008, 08:31 PM
Be sure there is no losse parts or the links in the chains holding the toys are secure and a foot,toe nail or head cant fit into the links, As for the hammock they are called happy huts and if you do decide to provide one be aware some lovies get nesty or territorial about it and make sure every day to check it as there has been a few members who have lost or almost lost a lovie due to a happy hut misshap be it a string got wrapped around their neck or foot or the material was swallowed and takeing up room in the crop, my lovies are provided a happy hut but i check it twice daily and make sure all is in good condition.

bookworm0550
11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
you can get a happy hut. they love those things. awww, your cage sounds so cute. I wanted a cage in pink, but they don't make them in that color. isn't cage and toy shopping fun? As far as toys go, you just have buy things and see if they like it. I've bought joey a ton of toys and his favorite toy: me. Well, actually he likes his swing, raffia, shredders, and pony beads. I used to buy him expensive toys, but he doesn't care for them. Isn't this always the case? Every bird is different so good luck and have fun shopping :)

LoveBug12
11-10-2008, 08:49 PM
I was thinking of getting a little mirror to put it in the cage because my mom's bird when she was younger always used to chirp to itself and talk in the mirror ;).

momo
11-10-2008, 08:58 PM
in terms of mirrors.. i wouldnt put one in the beginning because your lovie will bond with its reflection and not bond with you..

LoveBug12
11-10-2008, 09:00 PM
in terms of mirrors.. i wouldnt put one in the beginning because your lovie will bond with its reflection and not bond with you..

Haha! That's so cute ;) . Okay, I'll just buy it and not put it in there until Noah bonds with me FIRST :rofl:

Pips mom
11-11-2008, 04:14 AM
I always make sure my birds have some kind of chew toy because they all love to chew! This one's a favorite with my lovie and my cockatiels, and it's fairly cheap too!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16407
Also I notice that Pip loves swingy and bouncy things, so swings are usually a hit and so are bouncy boings!
http://www.greyfeathertoys.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?store=&search=yes&detail=yes&product=34&category=Toy_Chest_-_Swings_and_Boings&keywords=&hits_seen=&page=search.html&and=&affiliate_id=

Mummieeva
11-11-2008, 05:07 AM
How big is this cage you are planning on getting? Maybe there is a link so we coulds ee it and know better? To me the staples for a new bird is cuttlebone,atleast 3 perches(no sand paper ones),and a swing.

Steph

elijahfan
11-11-2008, 10:49 AM
i would advise you not to use budgie toys, use parrot toys or thing more sturdy, my lovie has eaten through 2 budgie toys allready i need to buy him some better ones lol

LoveBug12
11-11-2008, 12:06 PM
How big is this cage you are planning on getting? Maybe there is a link so we coulds ee it and know better? To me the staples for a new bird is cuttlebone,atleast 3 perches(no sand paper ones),and a swing.

Steph

I do not actually have a picture of the cage but it is a very good size. Room to fly, play and perch. It's just perfect :) . The perches are not sandpaper and it comes with a swing.

LoveBug12
11-11-2008, 12:07 PM
i would advise you not to use budgie toys, use parrot toys or thing more sturdy, my lovie has eaten through 2 budgie toys allready i need to buy him some better ones lol

Oh, of course not :) The pet store is full of small parrot toys so I will make sure not to buy budgie toys. I will take a picture of the cage when I have it set up today.:)

LoveBug12
11-11-2008, 12:09 PM
I always make sure my birds have some kind of chew toy because they all love to chew! This one's a favorite with my lovie and my cockatiels, and it's fairly cheap too!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16407
Also I notice that Pip loves swingy and bouncy things, so swings are usually a hit and so are bouncy boings!
http://www.greyfeathertoys.com/cgi-bin/quikstore.cgi?store=&search=yes&detail=yes&product=34&category=Toy_Chest_-_Swings_and_Boings&keywords=&hits_seen=&page=search.html&and=&affiliate_id=

Thank you! I'll be sure to check them out :)